Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alder Dresser

Alder Dresser

I would like to share a long 6 month project. A 12 drawer dresser for my wife its replacing an alder dresser made by the Bassett furniture company.
    Some of the details are hand sawn dovetail drawers, carved cherry knobs, turned feet and inlayed alder leaves I carved on the top.
    The secondary woods are poplar and pine.
    Inside the parts have 3 coats of shellac the outside is Generals finish water based urethane. I applied 3 coats with Wooster foam king brush. Generals urethane gives alder a nice amber glow.
    I started the piece in May just finished after turkey day.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Beautiful work, Andrew! Lots of great details. Really love the alder. Any pics of the carvings on the top?

Nice to make things for your wife ….even if you had no alder-turnernative ! I remember when I tried to make a blender for my wife…Well I overpowered it ….but was able to reconfigure it into a clothes dryer! The warm rosy color is a beautiful well thought-out touch . SO much
    better than the standard “mud brown “ commercial furniture.

Beautiful work Andrew. Congrats! Love the beading.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

That looks great! I really like the proportions and the arrangement of the drawers.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. Love the warm, natural color of the alder.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Andrew, VERY nice, sir. I really appreciate the details such as the knobs, the delicate dovetails, etc. Thank you for sharing.
    Best, Patrick

What a beautiful piece of work. The proportions, the materials, the beading, the way yo styled the corners, etc - everything about that piece comes together smoothly in a beautiful "whole". I'd send pics of that one to FWW.

I'd like to see the carvings on top too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree with everyone...this is a wonderful piece. Congrats.
    Chris

Really lovely work, Andrew! Lots of details that just plain came together!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great classic lines with details that give a fresh look!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Beautiful piece Andrew. Really nice. All of the extra features fit in so exceptionally well, but do not overwhelm, and the alder adds to these qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Beautiful work, Andrew! Lots of great details. Really love the alder. Any pics of the carvings on the top?
    Thanks Phil and everyone for the nice comments.
    Here is a pic of leafs on the top. Im having trouble getting a good pic. my phone keeps flipping the good one upside down.
    I would like to share the detail of the molding that crosses the side grain and how it's accomplished. I recognized most of you guys know how it's done but I believe there's some that don't. Only because it's not often seen. So here what it looks like the cleat is broken up after its nailed no screws only nails they allow a little bit of movement but hold tight.
    Another fun fact is I used the case and drawers were completed in the summer. I used old brown glue I heated to 140 this gave me a long open time.
    The dresser is 60w x 38t x 18deep.
    I bought 150 bft of 5/4 and 6/4 alder and used about 140. Im not sure of the secondary wood but it was a lot.
    I pulled all the wood from lifts and carefully selected for color and attributes of the grain. rift, quarter and cathedral.
    Thanks again everyone
    Aj

Not many superlatives to add to those already said. That is just so well done, and the alder, round feet, and drawer pulls gives it a very modern vibe. I particularly like the bead molding and how you carried that to the corners, too.

John

Beautiful wood and an outstanding attention to detail! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....