Thread: Test burn info

Test burn info

Just wondering if anyone may have a suggestion. I make wooden nets and engrave my logo into the handle. The handles have a bit of a curve in them with 4 strips on either side. I obviously want the logo centred as precise as I can get in the handle. I currently use frog tape which is somewhat transparent but not really, to do a test burn. If the logo is centred, I remove the tape and burn it. Sometimes it may take 2-3 tries to get it where I want it and sometimes it’s hard to see if the image is centred through the tape. Is there something that is more or less clear that does show an image that you can see if it’s centred? I will usually do the test with the tape at 35 power and 100 speed. Thanks.

I use basic blue painters tape, at low power settings it turn almost white, very easy to see. When it's centered up good, just burn right thru it... works great and the tape will keep the wood cleaner-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, is it transparent enough that you can see through it? I know regular painter tape works well to see the image, but I need to be able to see through it enough to see if image is centered on the handle before I do the burn.

You may want to try clear MacTac shelf paper, or clear wide packing tape. Here, Staples has both.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I would just wrap the entire handle, but I'm thinking there's something about how the handle 'is' that you can't simply wrap it-- But, can you say, cut the tape in certain size strips (or?), to mark where you're trying to center up to, while still keeping all the wood covered?

I've done some weird engraving over the years, blue tape has always been there for me!

--ever laser engrave elk antlers?
    elkant1.jpg

elkant2.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Here is my way to position text on an object.
    If you have a heat gun cut portion of clear plastic bottles and place it on an object. With heat gun plastic will take a shape over the your part and you can test engrave your piece.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

For my Galvo fiber laser, I purchased off eBay but available elsewhere a small XY table to fit on the actual laser table. 3D printed some moveable clamps to do the workpiece holding. I am making brass 30 mm diameter coins and I can use the XY movements to get it exactly where I need and then test fire the laser at extremely low power or use the red outline. Then I can also blow out the brass dust with low pressure air while its working and not have it ever move.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I would just wrap the entire handle, but I'm thinking there's something about how the handle 'is' that you can't simply wrap it-- But, can you say, cut the tape in certain size strips (or?), to mark where you're trying to center up to, while still keeping all the wood covered?

I've done some weird engraving over the years, blue tape has always been there for me!

--ever laser engrave elk antlers?
    elkant1.jpg

elkant2.jpg

Gotta love the smell of antlers in the morning!!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils