Thread: Getting back on the bike.

Getting back on the bike.

Now that weather is getting harsh I’m able to devote more time to shop activities. It’s been this way for years. Fair weather means outdoor chores and hobbies.

I’ve started this shop season brushing up on the fundamentals. One of my favorites is converting salvaged wood to usable stock. Today I turned a cupped twisted length of salvaged red oak to a perfectly flat piece of stock with uniform thickness. To those SMC members with advanced skills this may not seems like a great accomplishment. I get a strange sense of satisfaction doing this. No electrons were used in the process. Perhaps when the pulse comes I’ll have job opportunities?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

You said the key words. You get satisfaction out of woodworking. Doesn’t make a bit of difference about skill levels. For a lot of us it is a hobby. I made a living at it for 43 years and I still enjoy it. Wouldn’t want to go back having to do it again. But as a hobbyist it is rather fun.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Feels great don't it Rob.

Some of my time today was spent doing it with a smaller pieces of resawn cherry to turn into a box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Another poor weather day/great shop day. Went toe to toe with some mulberry I had milled 20 years ago. I guess it’s dry now. An interesting wood to be sure. Rather contrary to work but looks nice. More to follow after I take some snaps…..

Back in the shop again. Work has been hectic and I needed to decompress. I cleaned and rearranged a few things, waxed a couple small projects as a last finishing step, and sharpened up the #3. I try to sharpen at least one tool every time I have shop time. I also laid down some UHMWPE tape on the plane track on my shooting board. Slicker now than snot on a doorknob. Better than waxing the plane sole.

That is a great idea, Rob (cleaning up and flattening stock). Even if you get nothing else done, you have still got the satisfaction of using the tools. For myself, I try to never put a tool away dull. Sharpening always goes well even if the work on a project doesn't.