Thread: Breadboard Build - 2-piece coat & shoes station

Blog Entries

Breadboard Build - 2-piece coat & shoes station

The wife asked me to replace our 20 year old Walmart coat & shoe station that sits near our entry way. We always called it a "hutch" which isn't probably an accurate term, but it stuck.

The goal with the new hutch was to leave more of our 1902 farmhouse stone wall visible, while also adding functionality with upper cubbies and lower shoe organizer.

Installed 1.jpg Installed 2.jpg Upper closeup 2.jpg Bench interior.jpg

Edit: Those looking closely will notice where I accidentally cut a dado in the wrong spot. For a customer, I would have rebuilt the part... for our own use, we figured leaving an imperfection in would be a good test of which of our friends/family notice (and are brave enough to mention it to me). Ha!

I got the notion early on that I was going to use tons of breadboard ends in this project... the panels of the bench affix to the legs with breadboards, and most other panels in the piece feature breadboards ends as well. I contrasted dark wood with light pins, and vice versa. The grain on the front & side panels of the bench are from the same panel for a wrap around grain look.

Contrasting pins 1.jpg Bench 3.jpg

For the bench, this was no problem. For the upper portion, lots of competing wood movement to consider - I managed this with selective glue/no-glue zones within the dado areas, and will keep an eye on it. If I were to build it again, I'd consider sliding dovetails instead, but for our own use (and being a prototype designed on the fly) I think we'll be ok.

The hooks were needlessly complicated as a distraction from work stress I affixed a sliding dovetail first, slid the hook over later, and pinned through the whole thing to finish it off. The sliding dovetail really does nothing for the strength of it, but I was having fun trying techniques.

Hooks 1.jpg Hooks 2.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 12-04-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Continued to add more pics

Installing the upper portion was "fun". I spent lots of test & fit time to get cleats mounted, and then a few hidden set screws keep the piece where I want it.

I think the think I like most about the entire thing is that all of the breadboards align perfectly (including when comparing the upper to the lower).

Breadboards aligned 2.jpg Breadboards aligned 3.jpg

As you can see, the family has already taken to enjoying the piece (and our coats cover the wall anyways, so I guess I could have built this as one piece after all!)

In action 1.jpg In action 2.jpg
    - Bob R.

Nice job. Butternut and Walnut?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob! Poplar (with 25% walnut / 75% natural danish oil) and Walnut
    - Bob R.

That Poplar looks really nice with that finish. The Walnut pigment dropping into the pores really adds visual interest.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again Rob! I've been doing a ton of work in poplar this year because the price point allows me to be a bit braver in trying new-to-me techniques, and it's versatile in terms of being able to achieve lots of different looks.

Our recent dining table, chairs, and bench were also from poplar and have lots of visual interest within the wood grain (at least in my opinion).

I'm sure someday I'll move towards fancier wood, but at-present I am really enjoying designing and practicing (and still ending up with a useful piece of furniture).

Dining chairs 063.jpg
    - Bob R.