Thread: what to do about a dead UPS

what to do about a dead UPS

Last night my internet died. After contacting Spectrum I discovered the problem was a dead battery in my UPS.
    Apparently the battery isn't available. It claims to be 2.9ah, but it is physically the same size as 1.3ah batteries; 3ah batteries are twice the size.
    I have three options...
    1) Get a 1.3ah battery for $20.
    2) Get a 3ah battery for $20, and remove break off some plastic parts inside the UPS that restrict the size battery that will fit in. (I think I can do it without damaging anything)
    3) Get a new UPS for $60.

I only need the UPS to cover the numerous outages of a few seconds we have; after 25 seconds my generator kicks in. I would expect a 1.3ah battery could do that for just my modem and router.

#1 is easiest, but it seems wrong to pay the same price for a 1.3ah battery as for a 3ah battery.
    What would you do?

I have a CyberPower UPS for the same reason as you. Mine uses a 12 volt, 9 Ah lead acid battery. I can tell you that battery composition will dictate physical size. In other words, a 3 Ah and a 1.3 Ah battery that are the same physical size will not have the same internal composition. For instance, lithium batteries will be smaller than nickel cadmium for the same amperage. The important consideration in your case is that your UPS has an internal charging circuit for the battery that must match that batteries technology. Even though the original battery may not be available anymore you need to find out it's internal composition and match that to a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I have a CyberPower UPS for the same reason as you. Mine uses a 12 volt, 9 Ah lead acid battery. I can tell you that battery composition will dictate physical size. In other words, a 3 Ah and a 1.3 Ah battery that are the same physical size will not have the same internal composition. For instance, lithium batteries will be smaller than nickel cadmium for the same amperage. The important consideration in your case is that your UPS has an internal charging circuit for the battery that must match that batteries technology. Even though the original battery may not be available anymore you need to find out it's internal composition and match that to a replacement.
    Of course... All the batteries I mentioned are maintenance free sealed lead acid.

Will 1.3 Ah cover the load needed for 25 seconds plus a safety margin? If so, that's the easy answer. It may be that the small capacity battery could be constructed in a way that will cause it to last longer (fewer thicker plates), or perhaps not-- without cutting them open you probably won't know.

You could use any battery (even a big car battery for many hours of backup) and leave it outside the case, extending the wires out to connect.

UPS are a consumable and typically last 2-3 years in my experience. Save yourself a headache and buy a new unit of appropriate size.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    UPS are a consumable and typically last 2-3 years in my experience. Save yourself a headache and buy a new unit of appropriate size.
    I’ve had so many UPSs die over the years, usually have 4-6 installed at once. Some that died I revived with new batteries - I take the whole thing to a battery store and they found the right batteries, installed them and tested. However, often something has failed in the circuitry and I just have to buy new units.

JKJ

Honestly, with the cost of small UPSs these days, replacement of the unit is less time and trouble than trying to source and fit a new battery. And with a whole house generator, one doesn't really need the big, expensive ones anymore for "household" use, at least in most cases.

I need to replace both the unit on my personal system in my office (that I'm typing on) and the one I use with my CNC machine. They are both toast at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Recently replaced the battery in my UPS, at a cost of about $20. Ten minute job. If this battery lasts 15 years (same as original,) I won't complain. Of course, at my age, I probably won't last 15 more years more either. Currently debating as to whether to replace the battery in a "jump box." HD has an similar jump box for about the same as I would pay for a battery. Only real advantage to replacing battery is know the quality of battery I would be purchasing, based upon previous purchases from same vendor.

I’ve got an APC UPS unit on the home desktop/router/modem that is probably going on 20 years old. I think I just replaced the battery this year for the second time. Popped the cover off, pulled the battery out, unplugged the leads, reversed the process to reinstall. Also replaced some 10 year old batteries in the UPS for the x-ray scanner at work earlier this year. Places like Interstate Batteries or Batteries+Bulbs can help find the right battery.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I used to have about 10 UPS units in my last house. We used to have multiple 1 second power outages that the power company denied. 20 years ago the batteries would last for 5 years. Then it became 3 years. Then 2 years. Then a little over the 1 year warranty. Battery cost per year was very significant.

When I moved, I tossed all the UPS units. Rare power outages here. Thrilled I saved the money.

Write down the installation date when you install the batteries. When its replacement time, it's eye-opening.

Never had Lithium ones, FWIW. Most units were APC with whatever batteries my local Batteries Plus had for replacement.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If power outages are not a problem perhaps consider good protection against surges. Our tech guru (oldest son) relies on these Tripp Lite, much better than the walmart power strip. Comes with insurance. I use these on TVs and other electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000513US

JKJ

Small UPS batteries are pretty much all Chinese now. I wonder if the ones from ten to twenty years ago that lasted longer were USA made?

We have big cabinet size UPS systems at work that have a dozen or two batteries that last for up to ten years until they get replaced due to age. Of course, these are bigger batteries and the UPS systems cost much more than a little one for home use.

Don't overlook Ebay as a source of batteries.

I thought the title had to do with united parcel service getting rid of their electric delivery trucks since the batteries are getting too old to hold a charge. They all seem to be back to diesel now. I heard they do not sell old ICE trucks. Only get the custom made ones a new engine or two then crush them.
    I see Frito Lay has the new tesla mega chargers and semis running now in my town.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I only need the UPS to cover the numerous outages of a few seconds we have; after 25 seconds my generator kicks in. I would expect a 1.3ah battery could do that for just my modem and router.
    Like a lot of others in the thread, I replaced the battery. I'm cheap, and a quick online look up turned up the right answer. OTOH, I don't know if you have days to wait for the delivery.

I do have another question, it seems like you're trying to fix a more general power outage issue. Those blips in the power usually also come with spikes and other electric issues that can damage your stuff. Do you have a surge protector for the whole house? Also maybe some of the new, cheap LiFePO4 battery backup solution might make sense, and remove the need for the generator as well?