Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an EBike?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone own an EBike?

Mary and I plan to buy Ebikes in the spring. We've rented them a few times and enjoyed riding them a lot. We have ancient 12 speeds that weren't top notch when they were new and now are at end of useful life. Given our ages (mid 60s) we think Ebikes are the way to go. We live near the Cuyahoga valley and many many miles of paved and hard pack bike trails. Mostly flat but with occasional grades where the ebike assist is appreciated. We'd also like to be able to ride them on the 15 mile round trip to the gym where we work out each morning; that route has a few fairly steep grades that are a real chore for our old legs.

Looking to hear about rider's experiences, things to look for, recommended brands, etc. We have several good EBike dealers in the area, and we will likely buy from one of them.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I'd cancel the gym membership. Sounds like the bike ride there and back is plenty of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I'd cancel the gym membership. Sounds like the bike ride there and back is plenty of exercise.
    You would think, but a glance at either of us will tell you otherwise

Blog Entries
    This thread has gotten so branched I do not know where to post... I just jot off the phone with S.I.L. who works at a Trek shop in Brunswick GA. The Electra Townie is their most popular E-Bike.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Mary and I plan to buy Ebikes in the spring. We've rented them a few times and enjoyed riding them a lot. We have ancient 12 speeds that weren't top notch when they were new and now are at end of useful life. Given our ages (mid 60s) we think Ebikes are the way to go. We live near the Cuyahoga valley and many many miles of paved and hard pack bike trails. Mostly flat but with occasional grades where the ebike assist is appreciated. We'd also like to be able to ride them on the 15 mile round trip to the gym where we work out each morning; that route has a few fairly steep grades that are a real chore for our old legs.

Looking to hear about rider's experiences, things to look for, recommended brands, etc. We have several good EBike dealers in the area, and we will likely buy from one of them.
    We were down in Florida one year and saw a few and then found a Pedego EBike dealer close by, test rode and then purchased two. They were fine and top quality. Took them home here and hardly ever rode. We paid way too much top dollar for that brand, good quality but next to zero resale value at least around here in Iowa. Ended up selling for less than 1/2 price when they were just two years old!

Since then we ended up with recumbent trikes, and we ride more. I added a electric motor kit to mine which cost $900, will do the other one next year. You can pedal, use motor pedal assist or just straight motor drive.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    We were down in Florida one year and saw a few and then found a Pedego EBike dealer close by, test rode and then purchased two. They were fine and top quality. Took them home here and hardly ever rode. We paid way too much top dollar for that brand, good quality but next to zero resale value at least around here in Iowa. Ended up selling for less than 1/2 price when they were just two years old!

Since then we ended up with recumbent trikes, and we ride more. I added a electric motor kit to mine which cost $900, will do the other one next year. You can pedal, use motor pedal assist or just straight motor drive.
    There is a Pedego dealer nearby, but yeah, my impression is they are higher priced than comparable alternatives at the same power and capacity levels. But part of the issue with choosing is there aren't many brands with a long history, the tech is evolving quickly, and the models change frequently. I generally try to avoid the bleeding edge on stuff like this, but it's hard to do when the models change significantly every year.

Our selling dealer would not even take ours in trade on a new trike or sell on consignment!! I purchased both recumbent trikes used and like new and then added a motor kit to mine. My wife was afraid to ride a regular E bike because she breaks bones to easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post

Is that hill up Portage Trail or Smith Road

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Is that hill up Portage Trail or Smith Road
    Not those particularly, we live in Richfield. There are lots of routes but all of them seem to be uphill both ways Getting into and out of the valley is tough on a regular bike.

I thought about getting one, but opted for a regular hybrid bike instead. I don't mind the grades that occasionally come into play in local trails and roads and have only had to walk it once or twice. Which reminds me...I kinda need to get back to riding. This whole shop build thing put the riding "out of sight, out of mind". To me that's honestly the risk of a bike or an e-bike...if you make the investment, you need to actually use it with reasonable frequency for multiple reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Where is the middle of the road between quality and cost? I don't like to buy cheap junk but I rarely find the top of the line products to be best value. We live in a rural area, Jackie and I would like to have a couple e-bikes to ride around the neighborhood in the warm months. I would like to take mine to WV when we are camping to be able to move around the campground when walking is just to far of a distance. Since I cannot use my ATV in the early morning because of the noise an e-bike would be just the ticket.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-04-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have ridden an old MTB with a China direct 1000W back wheel and a 56 tooth chainring. It was terrifying. It was this guys 2nd wheel. The first one only lasted a few months. China Direct did send him a new wheel FOC.
    Best Regards, Maurice

One of ours had front wheel drive, here is the problem... when going up a hill when you need it most the front wheel gets light and the drive wheel loses traction been there done that. The bike motor kit I purchased drives one rear wheel and it is wonderful, wife approved for hers to do next.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    One of ours had front wheel drive, here is the problem... when going up a hill when you need it most the front wheel gets light and the drive wheel loses traction been there done that. The bike motor kit I purchased drives one rear wheel and it is wonderful, wife approved for hers to do next.
    I bring these guys along for ballast. They are also the reason I want a little help.

Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I do not. I keep thinking about which way to go and snooping around the web for ideas.
    HILLTOPPER front wheel kit is my current favorite.
    Best Regards, Maurice