Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Dado Question

SawStop Dado Question

I need to cut some dadoes in plywood and I don't have the dado brake cartridge. Is there a way to run the saw in bypass mode with a dado blade installed or will the electronics even allow me to do that?
    Regards,

Kris

I tried that some years back and failed. Had no idea there was actually a dado cartridge in a drawer in the shop.

I'm fairly certain the answer is "no". Not only do you need a brake in place, but the electronics need to sense the blade rotating. I think that it does have the ability to sense the size of the blade, which means you can't use anything smaller than a 10" blade--dado or otherwise. And you can't bypass it because the saw has to get into the "green" before bypass is enabled.

Do you have a FTG rip blade? You can just take multiple passes, which is what I do half the time anyway to avoid switching out the brake.

Not a Sawstop user, but doesn't this apply?

https://www.google.com/search?client...q2w_C7JegCw_47

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Not a Sawstop user, but doesn't this apply?

https://www.google.com/search?client...q2w_C7JegCw_47
    If does not, at least as I've understood it. Bypass mode disables the detection. In order for the saw to start in bypass mode, it needs to otherwise pass all its own "checks" to start as it would normally. Then the brake is disengaged. So if there is something else wrong with the startup sequence you can't get to bypass mode.

You can connect a piece of stiff wire to the brake to bridge the gap between the cutter and the brake. The saw will sense the blades and function as normal.

Thanks for the replies. I have quite a few to cut so I ordered a dado cartridge.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I think that it does have the ability to sense the size of the blade, which means you can't use anything smaller than a 10" blade--dado or otherwise.
    Dado blades must be 8". The 10" normal blades have to be pretty close to the actual 10"...some folks had issues with a few blades that were listed as 10", but were slightly smaller as manufactured. There is only a very limited tolerance in diameter variance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That seems risky, could cause a false firing and a costly damage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have quite a few to cut so I ordered a dado cartridge.
    I think that is the right thing to do. As a Saw Stop owner I have spares of both types just in case.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dado blades must be 8". The 10" normal blades have to be pretty close to the actual 10"...some folks had issues with a few blades that were listed as 10", but were slightly smaller as manufactured. There is only a very limited tolerance in diameter variance.
    Indeed. Should have clarified anything less than 10" with the regular brake. 8" on the dado (which is unfortunate, as it would be nice to be able save some money and just use a 6" dado stack).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Indeed. Should have clarified anything less than 10" with the regular brake. 8" on the dado (which is unfortunate, as it would be nice to be able save some money and just use a 6" dado stack).
    If you own a saw stop, you're likely not trying to save the couple bucks and going with a standard sized dado. I think anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    If you own a saw stop, you're likely not trying to save the couple bucks and going with a standard sized dado. I think anyway.
    8" and 6" are both "standard" sizes, honestly...SS picked the larger which does tend to be more commonly used by folks, however.
    --

I believe there are some 8” dado sets that are not recommended for a Sawstop, due to them being slightly oversized.

https://www.trentdavis.net/wp/2018/0...8-dado-stacks-

Certain tooth geometries are also an issue for the SS, to the best of my knowledge.
    --