Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercell Flex Hose Help, Please

Supercell Flex Hose Help, Please

Just got an Oneida Supercell on the mobile stand and it sucks like crazy. The "flex" hose they send with it is great, if you don't have to bend it much. Problem is, it's so stiff that it can't be rolled up into a manageable roll and it takes up too much space. I tried using a Dust Right flex hose, but it's so soft and springy that it shrinks up a lot when the SC is turned on. Has anyone had experience with a good flexible hose that doesn't shrink up?

I've been buying Powertec hoses off Amazon...likely right where you want things to be. Flexible, but sturdy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's my solution to living with the hose. It hangs on a plastic pot that a tree came in. Attachments and remote too.

DC Hose h.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Here's my solution to living with the hose. It hangs on a plastic pot that a tree came in. Attachments and remote too.

DC Hose h.jpg
    Tom, that looks like a good idea and a good hose. What hose is that? I'd really like to find a very flexible hose, but one that won't shrink up. Is that even possible? The one that came with the Supercell won't shrink up, but it's very stiff.

That's an excellent solution, Tom
    --

Tom’s pic looks like their 2.5” hose that you can get to use with smaller tools or their vacuum attachments. It is much more flexible, though still pretty weighty in its own right.

I have similar issues to solve for and for now my solution is just hanging the excess hose from the rafters. The supercell 4” hose is definitely a bear to handle. Longer term I’ll have hard duct replace most of the 4” flex duct. For the 2.5” hose, I planned to fab up some sort of reel to place up on the wall. Though Tom’s solution is a good low effort solution as well.

I've got a similar solution to Tom's using a Home Depot bucket to wrap 4" hose. I think 6" might also work, but I've never tested it. It's also good for Shop Vac hoses, and you can put the accessories inside for easy storage. I cut off half the lid for easy access.

Yes that is Oneida's 2 1/2" hose. It connects to machines and floor vacuuming but would be useless on sanders. I have a 1 1/2" hose from a shop vac that connects to this one for use on sanders. Works great.

Tom, I wish I could use your idea, however the Oneida hose is so stiff, I would have to actively bend the hose into that position and tie it up to make it stay. I guess what I want isn't possible...a hose that is bendy, but won't shrink up under the tremendous vacuum pressure of the Supercell.

They must have changed the materials, mine will come off the spool and lay pretty much flat on the floor. Perfect for machine hookups. Useless on a hand held tool like a sander or circular saw.

They must have changed the materials, mine will come off the spool and lay pretty much flat on the floor. Perfect for machine hookups. Useless on a hand held tool like a sander or circular saw.
    Tom, do you have an Oneida Supercell? When you bought it, did it come with the stiff 4" hose?

I have the Dust Devil. It's a high vac, low volume machine. 200 cfm I think. Great for cleanup and small tools but not really great on machines. The hose is a generous 2" ID. Here is a picture of the small tool hose. It's light, flexible and doesn't scrunch up under high suction. I think it is left over from a Fein shop vac.

Small Hose.jpg

The 4” hose that comes with the Supercell is a bear to handle as Derek is alluding to. If I had friends in to CrossFit I’d probably hide it from them for fear they would want to take it to use in place of heavy ropes in their workouts. It easily weighs 1lb/ft and is 25ft long. It’s not easily tamed, that’s why my solution for now was to just throw it over the rafters. I’ll probably hook some bungees to mine to make it easy to take down and put back up. Hard duct is going to be my answer once I get my shop laid out.

When I was shopping and pricing quick connect duct at blast gate co, I saw they have several grades of flex hose. Perhaps a decent option that wouldn’t break the banks could be to order several 5ft or so lengths of different grades from them. Long enough to hook up to your supercell and just plug the other end. That’s a solid test to see if they can handle the suction. Whichever is the lightest and most flexible that passes the test you know you can order as much as you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    The 4” hose that comes with the Supercell is a bear to handle as Derek is alluding to. If I had friends in to CrossFit I’d probably hide it from them for fear they would want to take it to use in place of heavy ropes in their workouts. It easily weighs 1lb/ft and is 25ft long. It’s not easily tamed, that’s why my solution for now was to just throw it over the rafters. I’ll probably hook some bungees to mine to make it easy to take down and put back up. Hard duct is going to be my answer once I get my shop laid out.

When I was shopping and pricing quick connect duct at blast gate co, I saw they have several grades of flex hose. Perhaps a decent option that wouldn’t break the banks could be to order several 5ft or so lengths of different grades from them. Long enough to hook up to your supercell and just plug the other end. That’s a solid test to see if they can handle the suction. Whichever is the lightest and most flexible that passes the test you know you can order as much as you need.
    Brian, I'll take a look into that. If you ever find a good hose for the Supercell, please post, as I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones looking for a solution. It's a great little DC and the suction is strong...maybe too strong.

I'll reiterate that the Powertec hoses available off Amazon are strong and flexible. I haven't bought anything else since I "discovered" them a few years ago. Cost is nice, too.
    --