Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diamond or water stones

Guess I'll add my $.02. Once I learned to grind, my stone technique got very easy. Three strokes on a stone is fine for each grit. I don't make a mess with my King water stones since I lay down the lid from the tub that holds my stones. I don't like diamonds stones for the same reason I don't like carbide insert turning tools. I am a traditionalist and learning to grind and sharpen is just part of being a craftsman. I don't buy something because I want a short cut. Less than 3 minutes on water stones is just perfect for me. I'm 70 years old and still use the stones I bought 35 years ago. Pretty sure they will last the rest of my active years. See how nice proper grinding reduces stone wear?
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 12-06-2022 at 4:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Guess I'll add my $.02. Once I learned to grind, my stone technique got very easy. Three strokes on a stone is fine for each grit. I don't make a mess with my King water stones since I lay down the lid from the tub that holds my stones. I don't like diamonds stones for the same reason I don't like carbide insert turning tools. I am a traditionalist and learning to grind and sharpen is just part of being a craftsman. I don't buy something because I want a short cut. Less than 3 minutes on water stones is just perfect for me. I'm 70 years old and still use the stones I bought 35 years ago. Pretty sure they will last the rest of my active years. See how nice proper grinding reduces stone wear?
    “To err is human, to really foul things up requires an eight inch grinder.” -Alexander Pope-Wilson

Thats why I use a Tormek jig!

I started with duo sharps and film. never got anything truly sharp but got good usable edges. Bought up chosera stones 1/2/3/5/10. Now I get pretty amazing edges on my stuff I have a dia-flat plate to true the stones.

With the duo sharp the highest grits are too low. I ended up selling the set. The maintenace is the only thing saved and the maintenance is 20 seconds every few blades sharpened

I knew a guy who did professional sharpening (as one of this things) and he only used diamonds.

I was told (but never attempted to verify) that the edge left by a diamond left a more jagged edge than many other sharpening mediums. A jagged edge is more likely to break down faster.

I was also told that if I sharpen with a Norton Crystolon stone and a Norton India stone of similar grit, that I should expect a smoother edge from the India stone. For this I think it was related to either particle size (but I thought that was grit) or perhaps how consistent is that grit? Because when you have 400 grit, that really means 400 +/- something. But the Crystolon will leave deeper scratches that are more difficult to get out. I assume that a diamond probably has similar qualities.

In reality does any of this matter? I don't really know. Using what you have is a great thing. If you want something very fine that will not need to be flattened, you also have other choices such as Spyderco Ceramic stones. I prefer the Norton Ascent Ceramic Stones because they are guaranteed flat and apparently some people have had to flatten their Spyderco Ceramic stones. Exteremely Fine Ascent Ceramic Stones are listed at about 8000 grit and Fine about 4000 Grit. You can use them dry (or not) and in general you do not need to flatten them.

That said, your total system is more important. I use a Tormek to establish a hollow grind and then I free hand on my Shapton Glass stones usually stopping at 16K but I also have the 30K stone. If you learn to strop, you probably do not need anything that fine.

Ill offer my 2 cents. I love my shaptons but i have and use DMT plates on cap irons, card scrapers and anything else i am worried will gouge the waterstones.

Well, that settles that!
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 12-21-2022 at 1:29 PM.

There really should be a definitive thread on this damn sharpening question to settle this once and for all! Oh wait, that’s been done about 19,000 times!

Personally, I use stones made from crushed unicorn teeth, with camel saliva as a lubricant. I’ve found this combination is THE ULTIMATE sharpening system.

I find these threads hilarious 🤣

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam E Miller View Post
    There really should be a definitive thread on this damn sharpening question to settle this once and for all! Oh wait, that’s been done about 19,000 times!

Personally, I use stones made from crushed unicorn teeth, with camel saliva as a lubricant. I’ve found this combination is THE ULTIMATE sharpening system.

I find these threads hilarious ��
    Merry Christmas Sam. If everyone used the same steel to do the same tasks as everyone else, then a definitive thread on sharpening might emerge.

Since there are so many paths to the same end, we will likely continue to wander on every path available until the end of time.

My thoughts on many subjects is to look at things as if the inquiry is from someone reading their first post as a newcomer to the hobby.

If someone somewhere learns something new from such a so often repeated subject, then maybe the world is better for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Merry Christmas Sam. If everyone used the same steel to do the same tasks as everyone else, then a definitive thread on sharpening might emerge.

Since there are so many paths to the same end, we will likely continue to wander on every path available until the end of time.

My thoughts on many subjects is to look at things as if the inquiry is from someone reading their first post as a newcomer to the hobby.

If someone somewhere learns something new from such a so often repeated subject, then maybe the world is better for it.

jtk
    Here, here! Quite!

Merry Christmas Jim. Good post.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Like Yogi said, when you come to a fork in the road, take it. I don't think I've missed many fork branches in trying things to sharpen on.

Merry Christmas all!

My whole point in starting this thread was to try to find out if there were any technical advantages to either sharpening system. Other than the maintenance required for the water stones, it seems to be a matter of choice, and what works best for you. Can't really say I learned anything new.

robo hippy

I usually think of songs or sayings when reading these threads: Paul Simmons “Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover”, Bullwinkles: “It’s a Baffling Mystery”, or the latest: “Unicorn” method, a mythical elusive creature.😂
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    My whole point in starting this thread was to try to find out if there were any technical advantages to either sharpening system. Other than the maintenance required for the water stones, it seems to be a matter of choice, and what works best for you. Can't really say I learned anything new.

robo hippy
    On the contrary Reed, you may have learned if your shavings are like the ones in my post on 12/4, then your current system is working fine as it is.

You may have learned a continual quest for a sharper edge can be an expensive journey on a road of diminishing returns.

If you really haven't learned anything new, then you must have known more than your original post indicated.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)