Thread: Rotary Tools: Dremel, Foredom, or Micro-Mark

Rotary Tools: Dremel, Foredom, or Micro-Mark

My Dremel went missing, and I need to purchase another rotary tool. The main use is for grinding smaller pieces, usually plastic or metal with a rotary file attachment. My gripe with Dremel is that mine was fairly low powered, and the accessories were cheap, throwaway options.

So, I need a powerful motor and a good supply of quality attachments. The current project is to grind a steel strike plate in a lockset, openning up the pocket for the door latch to fit, so again I need a powerful motor and a rotary file that is designed for steel.

The four options appear to be

Dremel. If so, which one? I assume corded, but honestly I don't know

Foredom. I get it that they are pricey, but I don't mind spending money on a quality tool with quality attachments.

Micro-Mark. They carry a Dremel type clone.

Harbor Freight. I'm not terribly wild about Harbor Freight power tools (limited accessories, cheap quality) and rarely buy anything there with moving parts, but have included it, if it is truly a quality tool.

Thanks in advance for all who respond.
    Regards,

Tom

None of the above, Proxxon; https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38481...29288024&psc=1

Made in Luxembourg, it's the Festool of rotary tools without the crazy price.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    None of the above, Proxxon; https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38481...29288024&psc=1

Made in Luxembourg, it's the Festool of rotary tools without the crazy price.
    I vote for the Proxxon too. I have one that is at least 12 years old. So quiet and nice to work with.

Does the Proxxon have the amperage to hog through steel without bogging down? My experience with the hand held units is that they stall when hogging steel.
    Regards,

Tom

Sounds like you need a die grinder. They come in multiple sizes. I have a Makita that I like a lot. I have used it for that very job multiple times, but you need to clamp the strike plate in a sturdy vice (not woodworking vise).

Don't buy the Harbor Freight 20 buck one. It has no safeties, which are needed. I bent a burr shaft using one, and it grabbed the cord, and climbed up and slammed into my knee. Just lucky the bent burr didn't hit flesh.

Carbide burrs in Die Grinders EAT metal.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-03-2022 at 8:18 AM.

I have this one. It has a spring that lets the collet have some give if a burr grabs, and a paddle switch that shuts it down if it gets jerked out of your hands. Both very nice and I consider necessary features.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/GD0801C

I don't know what's best for your particular use, but for me a Foredom has been a huge step up from a Dremel. I still use the Dremel for grinding brass, but for mini sanding drums and inlay routing the Foredom is miles better. It has a lot more power, it's quieter, and the flex shaft is handier than hanging onto the Dremel body for fine work.

You might consider a cordless die grinder depending on the work you want to do. I bought the 12v Milwaukee version for blending chair parts and use it with the Kutzall burrs. Works very well, higher power/torque than my Dremel but still controllable. Uses larger shaft attachments than a Dremel.

Milwaukee 2486-20 M12 Fuel 1/4" Straight Die Grinder TOOL ONLY https://a.co/d/2SYTxh3

Another vote for Foredom....although the die grinder sounds interesting. I have 3 foredoms(1 beside the lathe and others in shop and garage) and use them all the time for any and all grinding/sanding/carving, etc. They are very versatile and with different sized collets/handpieces, can be very versatile.
    My $.02.
    Jim

Here's a video about carbide burrs that are used in die grinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v47fa6QIeBs

I forgot that I also have one of these. They are handy for working on lock strikes still in a jamb. I will only use the big one on something that is very well secured, like a tractor, or in a strong bench vise in the metal shop.

Never freehand hold anything to work on even with this little guy.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...inders/2485-20

This is a nice little guy too, if you're already invested in the M12 system.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-246...88360557&psc=1

I bought it because I was disgusted with my cordless Dremel, but as soon as the Milwaukee showed up, the Dremel smoothed right out?????

The Foredom type flex shaft tools are good for bench work, reasonably powerful with small handpieces that can be controlled with one hand. I have a Mastercarver with a foot control that acts as a deadman switch, a good safety feature especially when using aggressive carving burrs. Flex shafts limit your range of movement more than corded or cordless die grinders. They do have a wide range of handpieces including right angle attachments and reciprocating handpieces for carving. Be aware that smaller cutters may need higher rpms than some flex shaft tools will supply. The shafts require regular greasing.

Dremels are also handy but underpowered for anything but light work. I have a 7 amp corded Makita die grinder that is a beast but takes two hands.

When grinding an inside corner like a strike plate it is easy to generate kickback so take care.

If your Dremel did the job for you, you might consider the Bosch GRO10, their version of a cordless Dremel. It's available as a bare tool only (got mine on Amazon). If you already have some Bosch cordless in your shop, it's fairly inexpensive and I like it much better than the Dremel it replaced. Works with all Dremel attachments.