Thread: I'm going Crazy

I'm going Crazy

I downloaded a small wallet to cut out on the laser. I made the project all hairlines before trying to cut. the laser cuts the stitch holes like 20 times before moving on to the next hole. I ungrouped everything and looked at the holes individually and there just 1 hair line hole. So why does the laser want to cut that single hairline hole 21 times?????????????
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert
    That is probably a dxf file composed of multiple layers. When I've run into that I had to delete each layer or redraw it. Sometimes re-drawing it is faster and easier.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert
    That is probably a dxf file composed of multiple layers. When I've run into that I had to delete each layer or redraw it. Sometimes re-drawing it is faster and easier.
    I'll try and redraw it dont know if its more layers or what thax Mike
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Leather Card Holder.zipheres the original file

as far as I can tell its only 1 layer
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 12-02-2022 at 7:51 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

When I bring the .dxf file into VCarve, it shows 332 zero length spans. I don't know if this could be the cause of your problem, though. DXF files can be bad for odd stuff. I was able to preview cutting the holes out with a very small tapered ball nose and it only cut once. FWIW.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Keep getting this message wwhen trying to reply to grants message

vBulletin Message

Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

Sawmill Creek Woodworking Community
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Mike I took out all the stitching holes and just cut the outlines. I'll put the holes in by hand.
    thanks
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The problem is the dxf file is incredibly 'busy', check out just this ONE hole:
    toomanynodes.jpg
    notice there's NINETY-FOUR NODES!!! in JUST that one circle!!
    the fix: You need to use Corel's "OBJECT SURROUND" button/feature...
    NOTE, this button only shows up when one/some closed objects that CAN be re-outlined are grouped...
    OPEN objects can be re-outlined IF you close them, by connecting disconnected nodes...
    object surround.jpg
    Anyway, this worked great for this dxf
    BTW, it took my Corel nearly 20 seconds to re-outline those circles, and my Corel is FAST--

Here's a pictorial lesson
    fixholes.jpg

And, here's the corel job all saved-- the RED outlines are ready to rock!

fixwallet.zip
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The problem is the dxf file is incredibly 'busy', check out just this ONE hole:
    toomanynodes.jpg
    notice there's NINETY-FOUR NODES!!! in JUST that one circle!!
    the fix: You need to use Corel's "OBJECT SURROUND" button/feature...
    NOTE, this button only shows up when one/some closed objects that CAN be re-outlined are grouped...
    OPEN objects can be re-outlined IF you close them, by connecting disconnected nodes...
    object surround.jpg
    Anyway, this worked great for this dxf
    BTW, it took my Corel nearly 20 seconds to re-outline those circles, and my Corel is FAST--

Here's a pictorial lesson
    fixholes.jpg

And, here's the corel job all saved-- the RED outlines are ready to rock!

fixwallet.zip
    Kev your the Man for sure . You always seem to come up with a solution to everyones problems. I'll never understand or know corel like you do. Thanx so much You Rock!!!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for the thanks -- but truth be told, there's a ton more I DON'T know about Corel than what I DO know. Like, I've never in 22 years figured out how to create a macro...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Here's one other way to fix the problem. Use the Smart Fill Tool in the center of each of the 4 pieces. Then select those 4 new Curve objects and move them to a blank area on your workspace. This isn't necessary, but while they are selected, you can change the outline to green, red, pink, whatever and make the fill blank. Now, once again, use the Smart Fill Tool in the center of each of the 4 new pieces. Select the 4 new Curve objects and move them to a different area. Delete the first 4 Smart Fill Curves.

The reason you need to use the Smart Fill Tool a second time is there are still remnants from the multiple nodes left from the DXF file. Each of those circles are basically 1 long line that is wrapping itself on top of itself. As if you were doodling with a pen in circles over and over again in the exact same spot. Using the Smart Fill Tool a second time eliminates the remaining extra nodes.

Corel Draw Macros are great. I haven't watched them, but I see there are youtube videos on creating macros in Corel Draw. Kevin, with your computer skills, I can see you creating some handy macros for your everyday use. I created several in Corel Draw 12 and use them daily for my needs and assigned them to buttons on my workspace. I only needed to do some minor edits to get them to work in CD 16.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."