Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roubo frame saw - badaxe vs Blackburn

I seem to be doing just fine.....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Jeff and welcome to the Creek.

jtk
    Thanks. (Seems I need a filler to meet some minimum requirements, so....) Thanks again.

In his book, "The Unplugged Woodshop", Tom Fidgen shows how to build a frame saw from scratch, including the metal frame parts. It doesn't look too difficult, BUT I have not tried it. He used a blade from Bad Axe Tool Works.

I found the book is available on Amazon.

TonyC

Here’s a couple of hard maple panels that I resawed with a 26” hand saw. I can confirm that these were a lot of work. 9FCF2796-8E08-4281-9DEB-DED7CE82B787.jpeg

These panels in walnut went a lot faster. 1AF04A30-2E91-4905-954D-75DAA50CEE4D.jpg

The pine drawer sides I just re-sawed didn’t take any time at all.

Those big frame saws do look nice, and if I had the space I’d get a band saw, but I think re-sawing with a hand saw works fine once you get the hang of it. I just have normal 26” 4-5 tpi rip saw.

I placed an order with Blackburn for a frame saw kit, another sawplate and some split nuts exactly a year ago, still haven't received it. I've emailed regarding the status of my order several times with no response. I understand being behind on orders, but I feel this is a bit excessive.

If anyone knows a better way to reach Isaac other than his email address, let me know.

If bad axe had a more aggressive frame saw blade I would go with them. Although expensive I've found their customer service to be top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    Here’s a couple of hard maple panels that I resawed with a 26” hand saw. I can confirm that these were a lot of work. 9FCF2796-8E08-4281-9DEB-DED7CE82B787.jpeg

These panels in walnut went a lot faster. 1AF04A30-2E91-4905-954D-75DAA50CEE4D.jpg

The pine drawer sides I just re-sawed didn’t take any time at all.

Those big frame saws do look nice, and if I had the space I’d get a band saw, but I think re-sawing with a hand saw works fine once you get the hang of it. I just have normal 26” 4-5 tpi rip saw.
    Ben, hard maple?!!! I am impressed. And then you had to hand plane to flatten the face ( because sometimes those boards get a little warped after a resaw ) edge joint, thickness plane, saw to length, use a panel gauge to saw to width...you get my December Neander of the month award. Perhaps we should crown monthly?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    If anyone knows a better way to reach Isaac other than his email address, let me know.
    I paid via paypal & the receipt included a phone number if I remember right.

Assaf, if I remember correctly, is a medical student (ie: poor) and probably lives in an apartment. Also, having lived there, I know that buying a powered bandsaw like we can easily get here would cost 4x a normal cost in North America. You can forget about “rust hunting” there, ain’t no such animal.
    Assaf, also look at Jonathan Katz-Moses YouTube channel, I think he may have reviewed and sells a kit.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Aaron, great memory, but i am no longer a med student. Im now an intern and hope to be on a track to a residency in orthopedics (the woodworker of the medicine world). Still poor though. Just capable of saving towards tool goals

10. A couple of years I made a Roubo Saw from scratch: I made the blade from 1095 spring steel sheet, the part connecting the blade to the frame can be made from rectangular pieces of iron.
    F249092C-3B03-447F-8E47-992ABD14FD0B.jpg
    49323B5E-F6D8-42A0-8CEF-324CAC45F365.jpg
    I made two blades: one 2 1/2 tpi (I think) another 5 tpi. Not an easy task but doable.
    If you are interested I’ll post more details later, now it’s early morning here and I’m late for work

Alexander could you post a pic of your tensioning system?
    Thanks!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

12. Hi William, here’s pictures of the tensioning system:
    3B112C0D-D38D-4D06-9860-456F16AA026B.jpg
    C54EE4F5-81D7-40CA-B2EF-AC330364477E.jpg

I simply tried to copy the commercial versions of the saw, no need to reinvent the wheel

Love it, strong and simple!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Through the miracles of FaceBook I had a long conversation with Robert Porter of Union tools this evening on the subject of Isaac and Blackburn Tools. Isaac is alive and well and working frantically to fill orders. Rest assured that if you have ordered something you will get it and at the quality that he is known for. The schedule at this point is unknown, at least to Robert. Issac got something like six years worth of orders in the first six months (may be weeks, I forget what Robert said) of the COVID panic in 2020 with a years worth of inventory in stock. For a one man operation that is a steep of a hill to climb! The AccuBurr is his idea and design but he is not doing the manufacturing.

Isaac is working overtime and more to get back on top of things. Yes, he could communicate more but (a) he is an engineer and we are not overly fond of communicating and (b) he is focused on delivering what is ordered. Robert is going to try and get Isaac to at least send out a blast email updating those who are waiting on what they ordered.

There are things an engineer can do to help with the situation. A simple thing would be to put a note on the website that you're swamped and will not be responding to email.

Another thing is to have an automatic response to email saying you received the note but are swamped and can't respond.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.