Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slider attachment AND crosscut sled?

Oh really? Good info. I may have to wait on drilling until I can figure out material thickness of the plastic and tape. Done for the weekend so just changing some things in the shop. I'll play. Thanks again for the help.

I've got a 'native born' slider, but have owned and used several 'conventional' table saws.

As noted, the slider should be a hair above the main table, like a sheet or 2 of heavy paper. If you consider the angle difference between the higher sliding table and the main table over the 12-15 inches past the blade, it's roughly zero. Probably less than the 'flatness', or lack thereof, of the base of the sled. Although adding a strip of 'slippy' tape sounds like a great idea to me.

And, since it's a conventional table saw to begin with, with a couple of miter slots, I think I'd just pull off whatever crosscut fence the sliding table attachment has and use the sled you already have for simple square cuts. Same goes for a miter sled if you've already got one. Use the slots you've got. I can't, no slots. So any sled I want to build has to register off the sliding table.

As for drilling mounting holes, unless you're a total machinist/toolmaker geek like me and build drill fixtures with interchangeable bushings to get the hole locations perfect, drilling a 32nd, or more, oversize is the only practical solution.

Or worse ... My Laguna 16HD, mounting custom rails for my Felder extension tables. I later made the drill jigs to enlarge the tapped holes on my FB-600 to do the same. It wouldn't ft on the mill, and I couldn't lift it by myself anyway.

104-0462_IMG.JPG

I've got it to about a thick sheet of paper or so - i can live with that and maybe all i need is a few strips of blue tape to make the sleds right, if any.

I can make a jig based off the first hole and feel pretty confident about making two slightly oversized subsequent holes in the right placement. My back is done though so tomorrow. I'll also fish out a feeler gauge from... somewhere and see what difference I actually have in height.

Edit: that mill is beautiful btw

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That seems like a lot to me...but I've never owned an add-on sliding attachment like that. The different in height on my sliding table saw is "not much", but there.
    My sliding attachment is even with the bed according to a straight edge. I think I remember some effort to get it mounted and aligned. If there is not enough adjustment maybe some bolt holes could be filed longer or some bracket ground (don't know how the other is attached).

John, that's good to hear. I have no issue with using a file. More to think about, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Edit: that mill is beautiful btw
    Thanks. After *years* of working with worn out junk ... not 'junk' BTW, Monarch and LeBlond lathes, Gorton and Index mills ... just *worn out* ...

I promised myself I'd someday have a *brand new* 'top notch', lathe, mill, and surface grinder. Got the Lagun with a 40 taper spindle, modified the drawbar and drive keys to use my Cat-40 holders. I'd previously bought a really nice Graziano lathe at an auction. Not new, but really nice condition. Early 80's ... vs the newest Monarch which was made before I was born. My Grandfather bought the LeBlond before the war, I think. Dad still has the little Sheldon, with overhead drive, that Gramp's bought during the war. Had to get a friend to write him a letter that he was subcontracting G' work to him to get it. I think my dad still has a sample box of parts they made. Thousands of lock nuts for valve adjusters on rocker arms for radial engines. I don't remember what else. All out of his garage he built on their humble homestead, in the rural area of the SF Peninsula where the wealthy city folk had their weekend homes. They call it 'Atherton' ... I wonder what they'd think now of the home made table saw he drove with a flat leather belt off a pulley mounted to the crankshaft of his Model A Ford?

Still, maybe a new lathe, likely a Whacheon, but it's not a priority anymore. Still have a grinder on the list though. Need a building first ...