Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slider attachment AND crosscut sled?

Slider attachment AND crosscut sled?

I picked up a Harvey slider attachment for my unisaw over the summer and just getting around to unboxing and installing. I'm going to need to shift my outfeed table over to the right and I'm wondering if I should route new dadoes for sled runners (extending the miter slots) or will the slider fence suffice for what I usually use a sled for? Thanks in advance.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

You will still want/need the sled as these add-on sliders are not up against the blade and for really small work, a sled is also safer and easier to use. I have a native sliding table saw and still use certain kinds of sleds for utility and safety for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You will still want/need the sled as these add-on sliders are not up against the blade and for really small work, a sled is also safer and easier to use. I have a native sliding table saw and still use certain kinds of sleds for utility and safety for that reason.
    I second what Jim said. I have a Robland sliding table attachment on my PM66 and while it is great, especially for plywood and crosscutting longish stock, a crosscut sled is more precise and far better for small things.

JKJ

Thank you, gentlemen. I was thinking I could just attach a small base of ply to the slider fence for small stuff and burn my sleds so I have room for more "stuff" but wishful thinking I suppose.

Not finished installing it yet but it looks like the slider sits a tiny higher than the saw's table. As it stands, I'll either have to shim my sleds or have to adjust the blade every time I use one.

The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. Why would they design it this way? I'm assuming so that the fence doesn't mar the table saw? I'm considering modifying the design to make everything flush. Anyone see any issues with this?

It's normal for a slider to be slightly proud of the saw table surface and it's not an issue on a "true" sliding table saw. But with an add-on that isn't close to the blade because of how a North American cabinet saw is designed, it does indeed cause some challenges with sleds, etc. It's not something specific to the one you bought...it's the nature of the beast.
    --

Thanks for the insight, Jim. Do you see any issues with modifying for flush mount? Or leave as is? I don't mind the fence touching the table.

It's normal for a slider to be slightly proud of the saw table surface and it's not an issue on a "true" sliding table saw. But with an add-on that isn't close to the blade because of how a North American cabinet saw is designed, it does indeed cause some challenges with sleds, etc. It's not something specific to the one you bought...it's the nature of the beast.

It's not so much about the fence touching the table as it is about holding the material you are cutting off the table so the "sliding" thing goes smoothly. If this is actually adjustable, I see no major harm in you experimenting other than operation that is less smooth.
    --

Yeah, that's the thing... there isn't anything adjustable about the setup. Only one mounting hole lines up so I have to drill the other two = permanent. So I would just elongate the first hole. Ugh... decisions.

Edit: the difference is about a sheet of laminate or two.

It's not so much about the fence touching the table as it is about holding the material you are cutting off the table so the "sliding" thing goes smoothly. If this is actually adjustable, I see no major harm in you experimenting other than operation that is less smooth.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 12-01-2022 at 7:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Edit: the difference is about a sheet of laminate or two.
    That seems like a lot to me...but I've never owned an add-on sliding attachment like that. The different in height on my sliding table saw is "not much", but there.
    --

I thought so too. Thinking about leaving a playing card's difference and just laminating some(thing) that thickness to the right half of the sleds.

Some thin and slippery high density plastic might be just the ticket.
    --

That sounds great on paper but that stuff doesn't like glue lol

Edit: unless you know some secret sauce?

I believe there is a self-stick tape available for this kind of thing.
    --