Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
When I put my seasonal equipment away, I just dump some Seafoam in the gas and run it long enough to ensure it has made it into the carb. Doing that and only using non-oxygenated (no ethanol) gas and I haven't had a problem. The snowblower fired up on the first pull again this year. From what I understand, Stabil floats on top of the gas to prevent oxygen from getting in, but Seafoam goes into the gas and does whatever its magic is. The big key is no ethanol in the gas. The ethanol absorbs water and causes corrosion, and the seals, o-rings, needle valves, etc on older carbs can be damaged from the ethanol in the gas.

Before I finally got the bossman at the family biz to switch to non-ethanol gas for the small engines, I was rebuiliding carbs every 2-3 years on stuff. Not a big deal for a rototiller you use once a year, but kind of a concern for the backup generator.
Ever read the MSDS sheet for Seafoam. Ingredients might surprise you. How do you think it takes care of water in fuel? I use Staron in gas can when I buy fuel, and upon spring start up ad some Mechanic in a Bottle to gas tank.