Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression socks vs tight socks

Compression socks vs tight socks

My wife thinks I should wear compression socks for a while after my hip replacement. So what makes them $15 a pair when I could buy a pair of socks one size too small and get the same effect?
    Also compression socks do not use sock size. they just use some invented sm,lg, xl ,xxl sizes. Never seen medium for compression socks. I assume based on average size in China not North America. I do understand sock size is 2 numbers larger then shoe size. So a size 12 foot needs a size 14 sock. I think shoe size was invented for the civil war
    Bill D

I would wrap an Ace bandage on each foot , then ‘top kote’ with new socks .

been wearing compression socks since the 80's
    definitely work, there are different compression ranges, I wear a fairly light one unless having problems with foot swelling then I go to a heavier/stronger/higher compression sock
    Ace bandage doesn't do it for me
    buy from eBay most of the time, used to get them from JCPenny, have not been able to buy there for almost 20 yrs.
    buy a pair in each of the two range compression socks and see which one works better for you
    Good luck
    Ron

Blog Entries
    I wore compression socks after my heart surgery.

They are definitely different than wearing tight socks.

They should be available through your local hospital, doctor or pharmacy. You might also try a medical supply store.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I buy my compression socks from discountsurgical.com .
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Ace bandages are ok for lying around after surgery. Good luck keeping them in place while active. I wear size M medium compression socks and they do help with swelling. Cost around $12 on Amazon. I have to monitor them for slipping down. The more compressive ones are a serious pain to get on. Your wife can show you how to roll them and put them on like nylons. My mom buys pretty expensive custom fitted ones. Sucks to need them, but if you do small regular socks won't do the job.

My feet and lower legs swell so much, makes it very difficult walking at times. Do compression socks really help?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    My feet and lower legs swell so much, makes it very difficult walking at times. Do compression socks really help?

YES,YES and YES

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    YES,YES and YES
    Thank you and yes I have been advised they work but never knew anyone who used them!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My wife thinks I should wear compression socks for a while after my hip replacement.
    What does your doctor say? That's the bottom line...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My wife thinks I should wear compression socks for a while after my hip replacement. So what makes them $15 a pair when I could buy a pair of socks one size too small and get the same effect?
    Also compression socks do not use sock size. they just use some invented sm,lg, xl ,xxl sizes. Never seen medium for compression socks. I assume based on average size in China not North America. I do understand sock size is 2 numbers larger then shoe size. So a size 12 foot needs a size 14 sock. I think shoe size was invented for the civil war
    Bill D
    check with doctor may have you wear thigh high compression socks for a month or two. I had to after having both knees replaced.

After having a DVT in my right leg the doctor prescribed a visit with a physical therapist who measured me and wrote a script for compression stockings. That was in 2003 and I've worn them since. I've been able to buy the same kind from Amazon - Jobst. Recently my rheumatologist told me I should ware them on both legs having worn them on one leg only. She said you'll get varicose veins in the other leg. She then showed me that she wears compressions stocking on both legs and has for some time even though she's a younger slight person. She said if she doesn't her legs and feet swell from being on her feet all day. I did try a cheaper pair from Walmart and even though they were label heavy duty they were cheaply made and tore quickly. Jobst has worked for me quite well for 19 years. I would however agree with Jim. Ask your doctor.

As I understand it, real compression socks are much longer than regular socks, going up the lower leg. Small socks are not the answer.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My ankle surgeon had me wear compression socks after the 2nd major ankle surgery. There is no comparison to regular snug socks or ace bandages. My socks ended just below my knees.

After talking to your doctor and confirming he/she agrees with your wife's opinion, my suggestion is look for a pair that doesn't have a lot of stitching patterns on them. The smoother the sock, the less lines, dents, uncomfortable areas to be pressed tight against your skin.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

They have worked for me for lots of years. Standing on your feet for long periods of time or long periods of inactivity, as in being captive in an airline seat, or even seated at a desk or computer screen all day long can be harmful. They help prevent edema, promote the flow of blood and reduce the chance of DVT. I was skeptical when my doctor recommended them 30 years ago to help combat leg pain and edema. I asked how long will I have to wear them and he said forever. Now I swear by them. Jobst thigh highs in 20-30mmhg if on my feet all day (most of the time). Expensive but they last a long time if well cared for.