Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Jointers

Questions on Jointers

Hi All,

I am seriously considering a jointer. I would want minimum of 8" and a helical cutting head. In general I prefer older machines - as they are made to last, so I guess an older Delta is a choice

open ended question, but what are the better choices out there, and what is a good budget.

Along these lines are there opinions on the bench top models like Cutech 40180HCB-CT (https://www.cutechtool.com/product-p/40180hcb-ct.htm)

Thanks

Ray

I would not buy a bench top jointer. They are generally of a cheap construction & have short beds, for convenience.

If you are really getting the bug, start out with an older, used 8". Flat beds are what a jointer is all about. If you can't support a 5' piece of wood on the infeed table, it won't make the board flat, which is the whole point.

I started about 20+ years ago with a new 6" Jet. It wasn't long before I realized that a lot of the 8/4 wood I used was around 7" wide. I got a 12" J/P Felder, used from a couple states away. I sold it & moved. Got a 12" J/P Jet with helical heads. It was great, but I retired & sold it to a friend for $2.5k. I now have a 16" J/P with helical head by Hammer. It's perfect.

Spend once of you can. I've waited 4 years for a used deal to come along on CL. It was well worth it, rather than throwing money after upgrades.

I have the 12" hammer and love it, should have went 16,but they are perfect for limited space. Though they are pricey. As for budget friendly any of the big names in 8" HH should do you well, prior to the hammer I was looking at grizzly

Agree with avoidance of smaller machines, like a bench-top or a 6" floor-mounted machine. I made this mistake and purchased a 6" floor-mounted unit as my first jointer. No issues with the actual working of the machine, but I grew out of it in about 3 days. It was just too small. So definitely get the widest machine you fit into your budget and your space. If you have money and smaller shop, a Euro-style combo machine is a very efficient use of space and cheaper than individual large jointer and planer machines of similar quality. I have a 16" Hammer jointer/planer combo machine now and it's been amazing.

I bought a lightly used Delta DJ-20 8" jointer and put a helical head in it. Works great, but Grizzly make a clone that I've read good things about, and it may have a couple of extra features that are useful, I'm not sure.
    So weigh the $ cost and time cost of going with a used machine. New might be attractive to you once you've looked at the figures.

Do not lift by the table ends or it may break as you load up a bargin.
    Bill D

There is a Hammer A3-41 for sale nearby, look like a beast! But that is not a price point I can live with!
    https://nh.craigslist.org/tls/7562076648.html

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have the 12" hammer and love it, should have went 16,but they are perfect for limited space. Though they are pricey. As for budget friendly any of the big names in 8" HH should do you well, prior to the hammer I was looking at grizzly

What do folks think about Grizzly as a brand. I am always hesitant to buy anything Chinese as the quality is often lacking... That said, I have a Chinese DRO on a mill that has worked flawlessly for 7 years or so...

Thanks

Ray

I bought an older 3hp Grizzly 1018 (I think that's the #?) and put a Shelix on it. Works great, no complaints. The only issue I have had with Grizzly stuff is that some of them use odd motors (eg on my bandsaw, it had an odd diameter output shaft), so if something comes up, you can't just upgrade it to a Baldor or whatever.

If budget is an issue, I would personally forgo the helical head in order to get a wider or heavier jointer. I love the helical head on a planer, but for a relative narrow (10" or under) jointer, I don't see much advantage in them - certainly not enough to justify the extra cost for most hobbiest woodworkers (all my opiniion, of course).

I've read good things, as I wrote above, about their clone of the Delta DJ-20 jointer.

Thanks James - do you mean that the output pulley has a non-standard bore so mounting it on a different motor would be difficult?

Thanks

Ray

Not all grizzly is made in China. The Taiwanese machines are a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Not all grizzly is made in China. The Taiwanese machines are a great value.
    Thanks John,

What differentiates a "Made in China" machine vs a "Made in Taiwan" machine like a paint scheme or ???

Thanks

Ray

It's been a short bit since I shopped them but I don't remember a paint difference. Certain models are made in one location or another. I honestly don't remember how I differentiated.