Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting up and re-gluing car tires

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How about an oscillating tool?
    Bill D
    I really don't think you'd be able to immobilize the rubber sufficiently to allow the oscillating tool to do it's thing.

I have a cordless 12V Makita version of the Versacut that I'd try.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 11-30-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I would agree with Steve's comment to use a reciprocating saw and a metal blade for the steel in the belts. I would also figure out a way to have the tire or tire part held stationary somehow. Brian
    Brian

PLEEEEEASE take videos. I want to see the mayhem, smoke, and smoldering rubber on the ground! Sears sold a counterrotating 2 blade saw for a few years, that would be my first choice for the first video!!!

I have cut up a lot of tires with a Sawzall type reciprocating saw and a metal cutting blade. They are tough, but this combination works fine, as long as you have a means to immobilize the tire near the cut. Lubricating with water also helps.

Whatever you use, wear glasses, gloves and work outdoors. Keep both hands on the tool, not on the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I have to cut car tires into pieces and glue them together for an art project.
    What blade can I use on a Skilsaw to cut across the threads?
    And what should I use to slice off the side walls? - utility knife?

What glue can I use to glue the pieces together? Something that vulcanizes?

Any advice and insights welcome!

thanks, Mark
    A utility knife will cut the sidewalls. They don’t have belts. I refer you to the others for that. A lot of radial tires now have nylon belts .
    Charlie Jones

Starbond.com keg500 or kbl500? Read the reviews for rubber bonding. Contact them if you have questions. They like artsy.

Those steel wires that are inbedded in radials are very dangerous. super strong and will rip you to shreds. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Must see the finished project.

Thanks for all your feedback. The latest useful info is that bias ply tires have nylon instead of metal reinforcement, so I'll try to find some of those.

Big rig retreads thrown on the side of the road ... some have steel some do not. I only pick up the ones without steel. They still have tough fabric of kevlar/polyester/ whatever. Make great vibration damper pads under my air compressor etc.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback. The latest useful info is that bias ply tires have nylon instead of metal reinforcement, so I'll try to find some of those.
    Farm implement tires are not steel belted. If you are right in the midst of the city that might be tough to find though. In farm country it would be easy. Most if not all lawn mower tires will also be bias ply. That might be easier to find in the city.

Blog Entries
    I am a long way from L.A. but have a large stock of very large AG tires. Free for free! (considerable labor required).
    Best Regards, Maurice

Lawn mower tires! Great to know. I'll get hunting.