Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: small annoying vent

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I am building a new sled for my sawstop and I built a pretty cool looking fence which is two 9 ply 3/4 maple ply laminated together and bordered with some poplar for a clean look. Well today is is slightly bowed, and even if I force it flat, there is no way in hell I am getting it square to the blade. I got it close, about 89.5 but that isn't cutting it. Oh well. I'll build a new fence out of hardwood. I have poplar and hickory sitting around that is spare or I dig into the nicer stuff. Hickory will just make the sled 10 tons.

Flat plywood is a thing of the past!!!
    Just run the hardwood face through your jointer. Check it again after a couple of days.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Just run the hardwood face through your jointer. Check it again after a couple of days.
    yup - my hardwood (well, poplar - using it up from another project) is still flat after it was face jointed and my sled was used a ton today so it's all good
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Now i have a dead flat (hope it stays that way) poplar fence. I took two flat poplar boards and face glue them. Once dried I re-milled it on the jointer and planner to make sure it was once again flat, and to the thickness I wanted. Well see if it stays.
    I imagine you'll be OK. I have a couple of sleds with vertical grained fir fences that have been stable for many years. I have also used laminated 3/4" BB ply on a couple but I drum sand (read mill) the blanks after laminating and before cutting to final dimension. these have remained stable for years as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler