Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for some dust collector maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Not sure what a centrifugal switch is. It came with a push button switch and I added a remote starter years ago. Thanks Brian
    A centrifugal switch is inside the motor and makes a "click" when it opens and closes when controlling power to the starter windings. I don't know if the type of motor you have has such a switch but I think I can hear the click in your video. I've never heard a cent. switch making a growling noise. If that's what it is, maybe something is fouled inside the motor. Seems suspicious since the noise happens right after the click. Also, where is the puff of dust at the top coming from in the video when the motor is switched off?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A centrifugal switch is inside the motor and makes a "click" when it opens and closes when controlling power to the starter windings. I don't know if the type of motor you have has such a switch but I think I can hear the click in your video. I've never heard a cent. switch making a growling noise. If that's what it is, maybe something is fouled inside the motor. Seems suspicious since the noise happens right after the click. Also, where is the puff of dust at the top coming from in the video when the motor is switched off?
    Noise at the deceleration is louder than it was before. I don't think the motor has a centrifugal switch. Is this normal switch for cyclones? Dust is just in the system and around the collector.

Brian, that ain't right! It does sound similar to the noise my V3000 made when the impeller came loose. It was a growl when the motor was spinning down. I know you wiggled it, but because of the weight of the impeller and friction on the shaft, you may not have been able to move it even if there is an issue. IIWM, I'd spend the 30 min. it will take to unbolt the motor and lift it up. I was able to lift one edge of the mounting plate and tilt the impeller/motor assembly up on the opposite edge so I didn't actually have to lift the entire weight of the assembly. At that point you should have full access to inspect everything.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Brian, that ain't right! It does sound similar to the noise my V3000 made when the impeller came loose. It was a growl when the motor was spinning down. I know you wiggled it, but because of the weight of the impeller and friction on the shaft, you may not have been able to move it even if there is an issue. IIWM, I'd spend the 30 min. it will take to unbolt the motor and lift it up. I was able to lift one edge of the mounting plate and tilt the impeller/motor assembly up on the opposite edge so I didn't actually have to lift the entire weight of the assembly. At that point you should have full access to inspect everything.
    Paul, thanks for your help. Trying to make sure before I do this. I'll be 66 next month and this is a chore for me, but I work smart now since I have an old back. I only have 4-3/4" clearance in my basement shop above the motor fan cover. I will have to lay it on it's side, rig up a couple straps handing from the floor joists to support the weight of the motor and then unbolt it, move the housing away from the motor to get at it, but I can. Thanks Brian
    Brian

I wonder if its the motor fan that makes the noise upon deceleration. Can you feel where the vibration is coming from?
    The Plane Anarchist

problem identified and corrected

Thanks for your help. Took it down today and removed the motor. After I got it laid down I used a come along from the floor joist to support the motor weight and removed the motor. After I got it on the ground the bolt holding the impeller to the motor and the set screw were so loose I could remove them by hand. I put red loctite (what I had in house) on them and reinstalled as tight as I could get them. I am sure this will solve the problem once I get it upright.

Paul, Thanks again for your help. Brian

JDS 1.jpgJDS 2.jpgJDS 3.jpg
    Brian

I would consider drilling a hole in the fan housing to allow a socket on a long extension to reach the fan bolt from outside with no disassembly. Piece of duct tape to seal it up. Write socket size next to hole with listo lead.
    Bill D

Great news Brian! Here's hoping you get many more years of good service from it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Glad you got it before it grenaded. I thought a loose impeller would have made more noise.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Glad you got it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would consider drilling a hole in the fan housing to allow a socket on a long extension to reach the fan bolt from outside with no disassembly. Piece of duct tape to seal it up. Write socket size next to hole with listo lead.
    Bill D
    Bill took it 15 years to work loose without loctite. With loctitie my hope is it will outlast my woodworking days. 66 this month. Thanks brian
    Brian

I had forgotten that JDS had a unique impeller design. John Ducate, Sr., where the JDS name came from, had a furnace manufacturing business. He must known a good bit about industrial blowers. I remember JDS sales literature claimed their blower was better than conventional impellers. Ducate started JDS for his son-in-law, John McConegly, who ran JDS. McConegly was a football coach.

Congratulations on solving the problem. I know that must feel good.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 12-01-2022 at 5:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I had forgotten that JDS had a unique impeller design. John Ducate, Sr., where the JDS name came from, had a furnace manufacturing business. He must known a good bit about industrial blowers. I remember JDS sales literature claimed their blower was better than conventional impellers. Ducate started JDS for his son-in-law, John McConegly, who ran JDS. McConegly was a football coach.

Congratulations on solving the problem. I know that must feel good.
    It would have been a better design with a bushing vs bolt. John is still around and helped me with some info. Thanks brian