Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for some dust collector maintenance?

Time for some dust collector maintenance?

I have a 2hp JDS cyclone and I believe the impeller is working loose. They are out of business so no one to contact. I want to get access to this to confirm before I got to other options.

Option 1. Initially I thought I would come at this from the bottom underneath, but doubt I can get to it from there due to the design. (see pic) Looking at the parts blow up I am thinking the way to get at the impeller is by pulling the motor off the top. Impeller is part # 9 and is held on by a key set screw and a bolt through it into the motor shaft. Even if I come from the bottom I may only be able to get at the bolt, but wouldn't be able to get to the side of the impeller to check the set screw & key. If I pull the motor is should lift the impeller out with it. Says the impeller is 15" diameter. The center line of the bolt circle on the motor plate Item # & looks to be 15" which means the impeller will not come out this hole on top?

Option 2. Other more complicated option is to lay it on it's side and pull the reducing tapered cone off the bottom then pull #14 the collector off the bottom of the housing #13.

I don't think I can get in there by removing the motor. Don't think the impeller will clear the motor top plate opening based on dimensions(assuming the impeller is truly 15"); I think I have to do option 2

Thanks Brian

JDS cyclone.jpgJDS parts blow up 1.jpg
    Brian

Brian, I know nothing about that particular dust collector. I have a Clearvue cyclone. However, in case someone else doesn't speak up, in the slight chance the one you have uses the same type of connector for the impeller you might get a clue from the Clearvue manual. The impeller connection is on page 12: https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ass...emblyGuide.pdf

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I have a 2hp JDS cyclone and I believe the impeller is working loose. They are out of business so no one to contact. I want to get access to this to confirm before I got to other options.

Option 1. Initially I thought I would come at this from the bottom underneath, but doubt I can get to it from there due to the design. (see pic) Looking at the parts blow up I am thinking the way to get at the impeller is by pulling the motor off the top. Impeller is part # 9 and is held on by a key set screw and a bolt through it into the motor shaft. Even if I come from the bottom I may only be able to get at the bolt, but wouldn't be able to get to the side of the impeller to check the set screw & key. If I pull the motor is should lift the impeller out with it. Says the impeller is 15" diameter. The center line of the bolt circle on the motor plate Item # & looks to be 15" which means the impeller will not come out this hole on top?

Option 2. Other more complicated option is to lay it on it's side and pull the reducing tapered cone off the bottom then pull #14 the collector off the bottom of the housing #13.

I don't think I can get in there by removing the motor. Don't think the impeller will clear the motor top plate opening based on dimensions(assuming the impeller is truly 15"); I think I have to do option 2

Thanks Brian

JDS cyclone.jpgJDS parts blow up 1.jpg

John, thanks. The JDS manual does not show or call out a bushing, but you never know what's there until you get in there. Brian

Brian, I am almost certain the impeller will come out the top with the motor. That's how my Oneida is, and there's no reason for the motor mounting plate to be as large as it is unless it's to provide clearance for pulling the impeller. I'd certainly give that a shot before doing major disassembly. Granted, it's a pain because of the weight of the motor, but you will be able to tell if it will fit by just tilting the mounting plate up a few inches once you've removed the bolts securing the plate.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Brian, I am almost certain the impeller will come out the top with the motor. That's how my Oneida is, and there's no reason for the motor mounting plate to be as large as it is unless it's to provide clearance for pulling the impeller. I'd certainly give that a shot before doing major disassembly. Granted, it's a pain because of the weight of the motor, but you will be able to tell if it will fit by just tilting the mounting plate up a few inches once you've removed the bolts securing the plate.
    Thanks Paul. I thought so also, makes sense, but dimenson are wonky. Brian

Based on the diagram I'd expect the impeller to come out through the top. I would expect it to be drawn below the housing if it had to come out of the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Based on the diagram I'd expect the impeller to come out through the top. I would expect it to be drawn below the housing if it had to come out of the bottom.
    That's what I thought, but a 15" Dia impeller isn't going to go through a hole where the plate bolt circle center line is also 15". Guess I will try it to see what happens. Brian

Blog Entries
    Maybe the 15" is just nominal and it is small enough to fit through the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Maybe the 15" is just nominal and it is small enough to fit through the hole.
    I contacted airtech, sold this unit. Nice guy there told me it would come out the top, close call, but it will come out. Brian

I don't know how old your dust collector is but what the heck why not throw some bearings in the motor while you have it out.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I don't know how old your dust collector is but what the heck why not throw some bearings in the motor while you have it out.
    It's probably 15 years old. Used on weekends only most of those years and maybe 3-4 hours (that's shop time, not run time) per week end day. More in the last 3 years since I have retired, but not everyday. . I don't think this is a lot of hours on the motor.
    Brian

OK. Disconnected the duct work, same noise. Removed the filter, same noise. I can reach in through the filter side and grab the impeller. There is no noticeable vertical movement. I can't check key or set screw from here. I did rotate the impeller to see if there was any debris or damage, and there was none. See link to video that demonstrates the sound it makes as it is turned off and decelerates, starts at approx 6-7 mark. I am stumped at this point. It is 15 years old at this point. I am of the mind to reassemble everything. Tighten all the bolts and live with it as is. If it fails I had a useful life from it.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LLtBz21LgCo

Thanks Brian
    Brian

Does your motor have a centrifugal switch?

I don't think the impeller is loose, it would make enough noise for you to take cover.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Does your motor have a centrifugal switch?

I don't think the impeller is loose, it would make enough noise for you to take cover.
    Not sure what a centrifugal switch is. It came with a push button switch and I added a remote starter years ago. Thanks Brian

It's what takes over after the start windings get the motor started. You can usually hear them click when a motor is winding down after you shut it off.

It's located inside the end bell of the motor, I believe on the fan end.