Thread: DFM Toolworks Domino Plate

DFM Toolworks Domino Plate

Heard about this on the modern woodworking podcast.

DFM Toolworks is selling a steel plate (think dowel plate) designed to just slightly shave dominoes (the festool kind, not the game kind) so they are more suitable for dry fitting. I think all of us that use the domino have faced this one time or another. And most of us have dealt with the issue of too tight dominoes by sanding them slightly. This is an alternative; you just tap the domino through the appropriate hole in the plate and it takes just a little off. Maybe a little pricey but not out of line compared to all the other domino accessories out there.

I have probably 100 or so "dry fit" dominoes that I sanded down a bit (finally have my fingerprints back from that job) of the 14mm size, but not other sizes so I put it on my wish list.

I have no connection to the company, but I know there are a lot of domino users here that might be interested.

https://dfmtoolworks.com/products/a2-domino-trim-plate

I still think there's a market for slightly undersized domino stock....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    You can just microwave them if you want a loose fit. It doesn't last forever so if you were leaving it for days/weeks you would have issues.

I sand the few I might need for a project and spray paint them (pink, in my case) so that they don’t contaminate the good ones.

My hand plane makes a great job tool to shave a couple thousandths off.

I just make my own. Sometimes I do make a set for use during the building process.
    Then a final set for the glue up.
    In the past I have bought the small bulk bag.
    Dont see the need for a dowel plate except for making dowels
    Aj

I've found that rubbing the narrow side 3 or 4 times across sandpaper makes the domino removable. And by very slightly reducing the width like that rather than the depth they still can be used in the joint.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

+1 on the microwave. Only takes a couple of minutes to cook as many as needed for the project. Perfect for dry fit and they come back to size when coated with PVA glue. No worrying about which ones are sanded or shaved or whatever.

I like it ... $59 is a bit much but hay, no different than anything else these days
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Just keep a pair of channel locks handy.

I think that's an over complicated solution. In order for it to work I'd need three other tools.

This stays in my apron or vest so it's always at hand, is just as quick (or quicker), doesn't require xtra gear to work, and most importantly - it ain't a one trick pony.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...ools&node=4086