Thread: Please help identifying this lathe

Please help identifying this lathe

Hello,

First post. I need help identifying this lathe. I can find no ID tags of any kind (other than that on the motor)

I scored this Delta (I think) for $100. The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from had left it out in the rain.. hence the rust.

What I know:
    I has a 1 HP, 220V, 3 Phase motor with a 3" v-belt pulley. But rain.. I don't trust any further than I could throw it.

It looked to once have a motor starter, but that is gone.

It has variable speed. I've removed most of it for cleaning and repair. Most moves, albeit reluctantly.

I believe it requires a MT2 taper on the spur and dead centers.. (I don't have those, so I'll need to get new ones)

I believe it uses a 1-8 thread on the spindle. (I don't have a faceplate or chuck either)

I tested the on and off buttons. If I understand schematics correctly. The stop button is normally closed, and opens when pushed. If I wiggle the button, I sometimes get continuity between two poles. But usually don't. The start button is normally open, and closes when pushed. I sometimes find continuity when this button is pushed. I consider both buttons un-useable.

The headstock: there are some numbers stamped to the inside: 434 03 058 5001.
    There are two holes on the top of the headstock on the left side. I don't know if those are part of the indexing system (if it even had one). The pulley is there, and it slides side-to-side. There's a nut on the left end of the shaft, reverse thread, that comes partially loose. Don't know what it does.

My plan:
    I've already ordered a new motor, pulley, motor starter, and start/stop buttons. I'm headed off to the store for wire and plug.
    I plan on attacking the paint with a sander, try to knock off most the rust, and rattle-can repaint it. I don't need a beauty queen, but I do want it to look better than it currently does.

So, if anyone could identify the make and model, that'd be wonderful. If someone could verify taper and spindle thread information, I'd appreciate it as well.

Thank-you in advance,

Lyndon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice score! 434 03 058 5001 is a Delta number. Give the SMC Lathe experts a few minutes and I think you hill have lots of info.
    Best Regards, Maurice

It looks like a mid 60s Delta, 46-450 HD Wood Lathe

Thank-you..

I found some pictures of a 46-450, and they do look pretty close.

I have another question.

Regarding the electrical box on the side of the base... Is that "just" a motor start? Or was it also a soft start?