Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: segmented bowl project #9

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE

segmented bowl project #9

Segmented bowl maple and cherry Minwax wipe on poly finish
    9 inch diameter 7 inches tall.

BOWL 55-9 11-2022 (21).jpgBOWL 55-9 11-2022 (19).jpgBOWL 55-9 11-2022 (29).jpg

Nice work Mike!

Very nice! Let us know how you approached the work.

I like it.

I really like this Mike!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Very nice! Let us know how you approached the work.
    Thanks Steve for looking in.
    I have dabbled in woodworking off and on for many years but only discovered segmented bowls about 8 months ago.
    Most of what I know about the process I get from this link https://segmentedwoodturners.org/forums/index.php and naturally YouTube.
    Check out the gallery at the link above the work there is phenominal I was instantly captivated.
    The image below is my design board basically establishes the profile of the bowl and the ring overall sizes needed to blend (turn) to create the profile .
    The individual segment rings are pretty typical in that way , the feature ring and the base really tax my efforts to come up with ideas.

I have made 10 bowls so far but each one kind of turns out a little different than actually planned, you can see that in the design board and the finished bowl.
    The feature rings are the toughest for me to come up with a design. The horizontal bar section starts out as simply a glue up strip of cherry and maple then cut into segments defined from on line calculation apps. The diamond block section was sketched out and built as individual pieces and glued to the bar wedge section to bring the finished wedge of the two components to the dimensions defined by the wedge app values. In this case there are 12 wedges in each ring.
    There are a bunch of segment calculators on line at the Playstore example here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...US&gl=US&pli=1
    The process is not really complicated BUT you have to get a lot of little things right along the way, it takes a learning curve i must say.
    the two references above will show you everything you need to know about building a bowl from making a wedge sled to stacking the individual rings concentric as possible. If I can do this any woodworker with some sawdust experience can too but I suggest you dig in to the details learn all you can as you will need a foundation to solve the issues you will experience along the way. There will be issues encountered I guarantee it.

IMG_20221014_141403.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Nice work Mike!
    Thank you Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    I like it.
    Thank you Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I really like this Mike!
    Thanks Frederick

Very nice work Mike
    I think the feature ring is proportioned very well, not always an easy thing to do. Not to mention great alignment throughout.

Thank you Ed for youer comments. I certainlly struggle a bunch with ideas for feature rings nice to know I got lucky with this one.
    On this bowl the alignment is something I worked on quite hard as the first bowls I made I paid no attention to such detail and it showed.
    I actually discovered a very simple way of producing the kind of alignment I got in the example bowl using just two lines drawn across one of the rings to be joined.
    I mostly stumbled into it as an eureka moment while trying to over complicate the alignment process.
    Thanks again for looking in
    mike calabrese

Mike, you've done a wonderful job on this bowl!! I have made a few segmented turnings, both open and closed segment, but none have feature rings. Great job! I tip my hat to you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Mike, you've done a wonderful job on this bowl!! I have made a few segmented turnings, both open and closed segment, but none have feature rings. Great job! I tip my hat to you sir.
    Thank You Richard, way too kind .
    I have not tried an open segment bowl yet. I am having enough trouble with the solid stuff.
    I have made 9 bowls so far and have 6 left because things like a bad catch and some holy crap moments reduced my inventory
    i can't imagine how those 3 boomers would have blown up if they were open segment jobs.
    On the feature ring you can make one if you are making segment rings now. The feature ring is really just a bunch of pieces glued up to make a segment blank then you glue those up into the ring. Don't make the same mistakes I made on a couple of feature rings don't get end grain in the design flat or side grain saves a lot of starting over .
    Honestly the hardest part of a feature ring , for me is the darn design really scratch my head.
    thanks again for you time and comments.
    mike c

I actually discovered a very simple way of producing the kind of alignment I got in the example bowl using just two lines drawn across one of the rings to be joined.
    I mostly stumbled into it as an eureka moment while trying to over complicate the alignment process.
    mike calabrese[/QUOTE]

Please explain the 2 lines you mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    mike calabrese
    Please explain the 2 lines you mentioned[/QUOTE]
    Hi Sam
    Thanks for your question.
    I will show the process soon. Hard to explain without an actual pair of segmented rings to demonstrate.
    I will cut some up today get it together and post some pictures with details. It will be super clear and super easy with pics.
    Please stay tuned.
    mike calabrese