Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of NiCad Tools (esp. drills)

Value of NiCad Tools (esp. drills)

The family has been cleaning their shops this weekend and we collectively put together two boxes of NiCad drills, chargers, and dead battery packs. I put together a test battery pack to verify each tool and charger works. Now the question is what to do with them. Is there any value or demand for old NiCad tools and chargers? What do you think the chances are there are people looking for bare tool or chargers for NiCad tools (especially drills)?

Blog Entries
    I still use my 9.6 volt Makita's from the 80's & 90's. My fleet is getting very raggedy. Time for another snoop around eBay. Last time I bought one someone else had the same idea and there was an exciting bidding war in the last seconds of the auction. I can probably find the price.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 4:02 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I was just asking myself the same thing today. Cleaning up the basement i came across my old 12V nicad drill. Logically i should recycle the batteries and toss the rest, but i can't pull the trigger on getting rid of it.

Blog Entries
    I keep meaning to make a video of how to open up the battery's and replace the cells.

Oh well Its been done. Take your pick from several on YouTube.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 4:08 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The plastic ones that are ultrasonicaly welded together? I have those for a 3/8" impact driver. Works great. Hate the fact there is no "center off" position on the Fwd/Rev switch. I don't bother rebuilding them as I can't get them to stay back together once I glue them (I have tried MANY glues).

Ditto. That's my problem. The tools and the chargers work fine. I wonder how many "Maurice's" there are out there that need a replacement tool. Guess I will toss them on facebook marketplace and see if there are any fish in the pond.

Talk about timely! I need a replacement DeWalt D9310 charger for my old DeWalt flashlight batteries.

Please Let me know if you have one and the price inc. shipping to ZIP 98580.

I have a couple of PC "MagnaQuench" 12 V drills that I'm considering converting to corded drills using a cheap auto battery charger, or a old laptop battery charger. I can often buy laptop chargers for a buck in Restore or other thrift shops. I would need to add a DC to DC transformer (about $6 on Ebay) to get voltage right. I have a very nice Sears booster pack that was given to me as there was no charger, and none was available. Charging, it uses 17.2 volts, so with dc to dc transformer, I charge it.

Blog Entries
    Mike Dulak still uses 4 old 7.2 volt Ryobis on his hardware bench. I made him a power pack and converted them to wired in 2006. When you find a drill that is just right it is hard to let it go!

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 4.05.15 PM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 5:14 PM. Reason: image = snip from Big Muddy
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I have a couple of PC "MagnaQuench" 12 V drills that I'm considering converting to corded drills using a cheap auto battery charger, or a old laptop battery charger. I can often buy laptop chargers for a buck in Restore or other thrift shops. I would need to add a DC to DC transformer (about $6 on Ebay) to get voltage right. I have a very nice Sears booster pack that was given to me as there was no charger, and none was available. Charging, it uses 17.2 volts, so with dc to dc transformer, I charge it.
    Be sure to do the math on your transformer. It needs to be fairly hefty. Those 12 V PC's draw quite a bit of current. I used parts from Mouser.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 5:36 PM. Reason: . + typos
    Best Regards, Maurice

Sorry no NiCad Dewalts.

Craftsman 9.6V, 10.8V, 12.0V, and 14.4V
    Skill 9.6V and 12.0V
    Ryobi 12.0V
    plus two no name 12V drills (those are headed to the recycling bin and I don't mind).

I have 12v nicad drills (B&D),,, also have 20v B&D tools... went on ebay and found adapters to allow the 20v batteries to be used on 12v tools...

They have more power on 20v and work just fine...

I have a number of plug-in tools that can be handed down to future generations. Battery operated: they are a replaceable commodity. I've replaced them multiple times as battery technology has improved. I think there is limited value in the NiCad tools at this point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I have a number of plug-in tools that can be handed down to future generations. Battery operated: they are a replaceable commodity. I've replaced them multiple times as battery technology has improved. I think there is limited value in the NiCad tools at this point.
    This is a sad assessment of current affairs. I fight against it. Another reason I keep using NiCad is that I can pull one out of the van on a cold morning and it works. Even on a very cold morning.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 9:56 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    The plastic ones that are ultrasonicaly welded together? I have those for a 3/8" impact driver. Works great. Hate the fact there is no "center off" position on the Fwd/Rev switch. I don't bother rebuilding them as I can't get them to stay back together once I glue them (I have tried MANY glues).
    Using a heat gun is the way I open and close them.
    "Impact" has not made its way into my wood working vocabulary or tool kit.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-27-2022 at 9:59 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice