Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of NiCad Tools (esp. drills)

Yep Panasonic is good , not brain surgery…., I mean that’s my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Talk about timely! I need a replacement DeWalt D9310 charger for my old DeWalt flashlight batteries.

Please Let me know if you have one and the price inc. shipping to ZIP 98580.
    Ray, I have a couple of Dewalt 9116 chargers that I used to charge my old 18v XRP NiCads. It says it charges anything 7.2v - 18v. I think they are the same form as the 9310s that I googled up. They've been sitting in the "I really need to get rid of this stuff" box for over a year since I switched my cordless tools over to Ryobi, so if you want these I'll throw them in a box if you cover shipping and a Paypal fee. I plugged them in, stuck a couple of the old 18v batteries on them, and they seemed to work (lights blinking). PM me if you're interested.

20221128_123657.jpg 20221128_122329.jpg
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

There are adapters made to fit a popular battery into a different tool, mine fits my Makita 18V batteries to a couple inexpensive Ryobi 18V tools I don't use too often. They are made with 3D printing, and I got mine through Amazon.

This seems like an opportunity for some 3D guy to come up with adapters for popular NiCad tools. You see old Makita's at almost any garage sale.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-28-2022 at 1:03 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Brian Tymchak: Just sent you a PM! Thanks

Most of the good ni-cad battery packs can be rebuilt. We have a Batteries Plus that rebuilds dewalt 14.4 batteries for about $40. I'm currently replacing my collection of 14.4 drills/drivers/impact drivers and passing them on to my son for general home use.

Blog Entries
    It's a buyers market for old 9.6 V Makita drills on eBay. I put 20 or 30 on my watch list this morning and have 10 emails with offers and price reduced notifications.

Is that video of the DeWalt electric dragster sill around?...
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-28-2022 at 8:17 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have a decades old 12v blue Ryobi CB120N drill that came with NiCAD's. The batteries died some time ago and Ryobi stopped making batteries for it. So it sat unused for a couple of years. Last year I found that a Chinese company was producing 12v Li Ion batteries for the newer Li Ion version of this same drill. So I bought a charger and some batteries and now it's a backup drill for lighter jobs.

I gave all mine away to my grandson and a few nephews.
    I've noticed they have all treated them with great respect.
    So great that they sit enshrined & revered in the "sacred pile of unused crap" in the corner of the garage cathedral..
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Talk about timely! I need a replacement DeWalt D9310 charger for my old DeWalt flashlight batteries.

Please Let me know if you have one and the price inc. shipping to ZIP 98580.

are they 12v or 18v ?

Most of the good ni-cad battery packs can be rebuilt. We have a Batteries Plus that rebuilds dewalt 14.4 batteries for about $40. I'm currently replacing my collection of 14.4 drills/drivers/impact drivers and passing them on to my son for general home use.
    For me the economics of that haven't made sense in a looooong time. A re-built pair is going to run you $80+ and for just under $100 I can buy a 12v LiIon kit from Bosch that 2 batteries with better technology, longer runtime, and I get a new brushless drill with better ergonomics in the deal.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-29-2022 at 9:08 AM.

I have an old Racal dust helmet (more than 30 years). Both the NiCad batteries and the charger are bad. I found a source for replacements and ordered them. The batteries were the same but the charger that came was not the same as the old one or the same as the charger pictured from the source. The plug did match so I tried it. It burned up the batteries on the first charge.

Racal was bought by 3M. New versions of the helmet are used for infectious disease isolation wards and are incredibly expensive. Back in the day, it was a good solution for dust protection. Wish I could solve the charger problem.

Dave Sabo: 12v for DeWAlt 904 flashlight.

I’ve got an old Univolt express fast charger from back in the day that should work on those packs. 13min max charge time was awesome.

Yours for the postage if you’d like.Univlt.jpgUnivlt2.jpgUnivlt3.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 12-01-2022 at 11:09 AM. Reason: pics added

Blog Entries
    If you are into NiCad, there seem to always be a lot floating around ReStore (Habit for Humanity stores)...

I donated a drill there with two NiCad batteries and charger. New stuff is too comfy, light, snappy, powerful, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Using a heat gun is the way I open and close them.
    "Impact" has not made its way into my wood working vocabulary or tool kit.
    Impact drivers are easier on the screw and more effective at driving them. When I worked at a motor shop I learned that removing bolts was better done with an impact gun than with a breaker bar, not only was it much faster but easier on
    the parts as well, generally speaking.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a Milwaukee 14.4V drill that is in my opinion the most comfortable drill around, problem is all my Milwaukee 14.4V, & 18V NiCad batteries are DOA, & have M12, & M18 Milwaukee tools & batteries, I had sent in a 18V NiCad battery to Batteries Plus as they were then known, there was very little difference in cost for them to rebuild, vs buying a new OEM Milwaukee NiCad, at one time in the past, looked into buying NiCad cells to assemble them myself to rebuild them, but never did. It's a sad waste of good tools.