Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optivisors and other magnifiers

Optivisors and other magnifiers

I've found I need some additional magnification from time to time, especially when cutting dovetails and working close to lines. I've seen a couple solutions but a visor or other head mounted version seems to make the most sense. Some even have built in lighting. What works for you folks? Any paths I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use an optivisor when doing extended close work like inlays; since getting my bionic eye upgrade (cataract surgery) I've been using bifocal cheater safety glasses as my everyday shop glasses-- can't work in that environment without safety glasses, might as well have them serve two purposes. The 2x magnifier meets most needs.
    Having an absurd amount of lighting, both general and task lighting that can be pointed where most needed, makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I use an optivisor when doing extended close work like inlays; since getting my bionic eye upgrade (cataract surgery) I've been using bifocal cheater safety glasses as my everyday shop glasses-- can't work in that environment without safety glasses, might as well have them serve two purposes. The 2x magnifier meets most needs.
    Having an absurd amount of lighting, both general and task lighting that can be pointed where most needed, makes a huge difference.
    Thanks for the reply Roger. I'm definitely on the hunt for a good ceiling mounted task light. I'm thinking something like a dentist uses.

I don't know if it's because I don't wear glasses, so am not used to having optical changers in front of my eyes, but those things fairly quickly give me a headache. I bought several kinds to try, and they all do the same thing. I do have a couple of Brightech magnifying lights that I like for things like removing splinters.

I have a visor from Lee Valley that has a light and interchangeable lenses. It works OK. I would make sure that the lenses will flip up. The focal distance will drive you a bit crazy. I have safety trifocals so that distance makes it more difficult. The built in light is helpful also. I do machine work also and have the need for a full face shield at times so that doesn’t work well. Good lighting and regular magnifying lenses are kept close at hand. It can be frustrating at times but you do need to protect whatever you have left.
    Jim

Rob, love my Optivisor. I wear progressive lenses, yes I can see up close with the progressive lenses, but if I really need to SEE clearly up close for tasks such as dovetails or carving I remove my glasses and use the Optivisor. As Roger stated, the more general and task lighting greatly helps with the situation also..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I've found I need some additional magnification from time to time, especially when cutting dovetails and working close to lines. I've seen a couple solutions but a visor or other head mounted version seems to make the most sense. Some even have built in lighting. What works for you folks?

Rob,

I don’t see if you mentioned whether you normally wear corrective lenses.

I don’t usually need glasses but when working with close detail in the shop or with extended reading I find the off-the-shelf reading glasses work for me. I have some from 1.25 to 2.50 power. I do have some reading glasses with two LED lights but they are heavier, require turning switches on and off, and the tiny batteries don’t last long. A light built into a visor would probably be better. (For extended hands-free lighting I use the Fenix HN23 headband lights.)

I also have a variety of magnifiers with a headband and use one for extreme close detail but for most things they are unnecessary and a bit annoying. The best one I have came with a set of replacement magnifiers to change the power as needed. I don’t remember the brand/model but I could check if you want.

I think the choice depends on your vision and how much magnification you want. Also I think it might matter whether you normally wear glasses - if I otherwise needed glasses I might use the magnifiers more since they all flip up out of the way easily. If I had to take off normal prescription glasses and put on close detail glasses I think I’d be forever misplacing one or the other! I think I’d probably go for bifocals instead.

JKJ

After cataract surgery a few years ago I can usually get by without glasses. My safety glasses are bifocal with a 1.5 reading lens. For fine work I use the optivisor from Lee Valley with multiple lenses.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have experimented with a lot of solutions because I’ve always had bad vision and particularly bad in low light. As I’m fast approaching 50, my eyes are not focusing on very close work as well either.

Here’s my solution after lots of experimenting:
    1) I have a headlamp I wear when woodworking. No matter what I’m doing, if I need extra light, I just hit the button.
    2) I have a gooseneck lamp that runs on AAA batteries with a magnetic base. I made a bench dog with a piece of steel on the top and I just mount the lamp to that. It usually just sits in the back corner of my bench. But when I need it, I can just move it to any hold on the bench. I’ve got the typical hole strip on the front of the bench and a bunch of holdfast holes elsewhere, so I can get that light anywhere I need it. So I use the headlamp first, but sometimes the gooseneck lamp is more convenient.
    3) I wear reading glasses on top of my head. When I need to focus up close, I just pull them down and then flip them back up on top of my head. I actually wear regular glasses too (-10 diopters, so serious stuff) and I just wear the readers right over the top. In the next couple years I will switch to bifocals, but I’m not quite there yet so this solution works. Looks silly, but it works.

Great comments all. Some more details

I wear corrective lenses for an astigmatism and other vision irregularities. They are also progressive bifocals. The magnification of the "reader" portion isn't too strong (+2.5) but my ophthalmologist doesn't want to go higher with the progressive lenses. We've talked about a special set of glasses for the shop and computer work that increases that magnification area of the lens without increasing the magnification power. Some folks get these for computer work. I'm not entirely sold on the concept but can get a pair at Costco for cheap and may roll the dice. I may just insist he write a prescription for stronger magnification too.

I like the idea of the OptiVisor as it can be flipped up and out of the way. I still have concerns about whether or not it will seem obtrusive and if the field of view will be decent. I don't want to experience the "reading a book through a keyhole" effect. I'm also concerned about whether of not the headgear will fit. I have a big noggin and finding hats that fit is always an adventure.

Maybe you could try a higher power non-progressive bi or trifocal. I use bifocal glasses like this for nighttime driving when the reduced light decreases my distance sharpness.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Great comments all. Some more details

I wear corrective lenses for an astigmatism and other vision irregularities. They are also progressive bifocals. The magnification of the "reader" portion isn't too strong (+2.5) but my ophthalmologist doesn't want to go higher with the progressive lenses. We've talked about a special set of glasses for the shop and computer work that increases that magnification area of the lens without increasing the magnification power. Some folks get these for computer work. I'm not entirely sold on the concept but can get a pair at Costco for cheap and may roll the dice. I may just insist he write a prescription for stronger magnification too.

I like the idea of the OptiVisor as it can be flipped up and out of the way. I still have concerns about whether or not it will seem obtrusive and if the field of view will be decent. I don't want to experience the "reading a book through a keyhole" effect. I'm also concerned about whether of not the headgear will fit. I have a big noggin and finding hats that fit is always an adventure.

Blog Entries
    I wear corrective lenses for an astigmatism and other vision irregularities. They are also progressive bifocals. The magnification of the "reader" portion isn't too strong (+2.5) but my ophthalmologist doesn't want to go higher with the progressive lenses.
    My regular glasses are bifocals, progressives didn't work well for me. At the computer a pair of good reading glasses work best to keep in focus without craning my neck.

In the shop an inexpensive magnifying lamp worked most of the time until it finally became unrepairable. Good light does help a lot.

Bought a Bell & Howell "Tri-Burst Pro" lamp at Lowes > https://www.lowes.com/pd/BELL-HOWELL...ght/5001502095

It looks like they have changed since buying mine. It screws into a regular lamp socket. Mine is mounted in a fixture with a clamp that had a reflector for a normal bulb to hang from a rafter or stud. Mine is rated for a high wattage that is lower than the LED unit. It was originally purchase for an infrared lamp for keeping baby chickens warm out in the greenhouse.

It took a little getting used to because it is BRIGHT. Using it for checking something for square can be a challenge. Moving to the side so as to not stare into the brightness helps.

In the past my regular bifocals have been enhanced by wearing a pair of reading glasses set over them. This was mostly for saw sharpening.

Since then, one of the LED Headband Magnifiers from Lee Valley has done the job > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...r?item=99W9732

It shows out of stock, special buy limited stock. This seems weird that it would show up in a search. Maybe there is still one or two laying around. It may be available from another source.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use clip-on magnifiers that I originally got for fly fishing.

They are compatible with the hat, hearing protectors and often respirator that also compete for a place on my head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I use clip-on magnifiers that I originally got for fly fishing.

They are compatible with the hat, hearing protectors and often respirator that also compete for a place on my head.
    Michaels had those in the sewing department. They worked but didn't have enough magnification for my eyes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Michaels had those in the sewing department. They worked but didn't have enough magnification for my eyes.

jtk

They come in different strengths. The ones I use are +3.00. Unfortunately, the field is now flooded with cheap junk, at least on Amazon, so getting some decent ones can take more than one try.

edit: I think these are the brand to get-

https://www.amazon.com/K1C2-MC300-Li...9659356&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 11-28-2022 at 1:22 PM.