Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal for a jointer? Help me pick a used 8''.

Is this a good deal for a jointer? Help me pick a used 8''.

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/7560542900.html This guy is selling a David & Wells 8'' jointer for $750. I've been in the market for an 8'' jointer and this is finally one within my price range. Curious if anyone knows anything about this brand, or if I should buy new.

I also found this STAR model for cheaper. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-0876f6c4b4c4

this grizzly for $1000 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-0876f6c4b4c4

this Chiu-Ting CT-200 8'' jointer for $800 (third picture) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner
    This appears to be the same machine as older Jet JJ-8CS, except it's branded with the original manufacturer (Geetech).

Any of these look like good deals to you folks?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kory Watson; 11-26-2022 at 5:21 PM.

Too me it’s overpriced.
    I believe D&W made a 8 inch with longer beds that would command a 700+ price.
    Buying a used jointer Gives the buyer the advantage inspection before you buy. Don’t drive home with droopy beds. And don’t lift any new or used jointer from the ends of the tables.
    Good Luck with your quest.
    Aj

To me, the width of the jointer is important, the wider the better IMO. The Star ad says it needs a new cutterhead, so is it a common size or not? That CT200 says it's a 12" which would be great, but then again is the company still in business and are parts available for it. Admittedly there's little to go wrong with a jointer if it's properly handled and maintained, but bad things do happen at time.

The jet as choice in the D&W ad could be worth a look especially since it's in the same place. Try to run both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    The jet as choice in the D&W ad could be worth a look especially since it's in the same place. Try to run both.
    Unfortunately it's only a 6'' jointer. I'm shooting for 8''.

Hey Kory, I'm on Whidbey so I know your area pretty well. If you're not in a hurry I think you could find a better machine, if price is a driving factor. Also, if you are not in a hurry, and have the time and aptitude to put some elbow grease into a machine, you could do even better. Prices are coming down a bit.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I had a Davis and Wells 6 inch long bed (60 in.) jointer prior to getting a Northfield 12 HD jointer. The Davis and Wells is a simple, well made, rugged machine. Depending on when it was made, later models had a very slick way for replacing the knives using a pin that locked the cutterhead at top dead center for each knife. It also had an adjustable outfeed table.

The $400 model looks fine to me. I do not see the Davis and Wells, is it new enough to be ball bearing?
    If nothing is cracked a jointer should last forever. Make sure fence is modern center mount type.

Had to scroll down to see the d&W. nothing special there. I would get the $400 closed base star. I would think grizzly would have any parts needed. If the knives are in and all the attachment hardware is good there is unlikely to be more then blades and bearings required in your lifetime
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-28-2022 at 1:47 PM.

Quick update. Managed to snag the "$800" Geetech jointer for $200. So went with that. Needs a little bit of T.L.C (rust removal & helical blade) but it seems like a crazy good deal overall, especially with a Grizzly mobile base included.

The same guy sold me an an old Jet shaper for $200, and all of this Ash for $100. Price of these tools is made up in savings on material for the next year of projects

enC6udY.jpg (picture of material -- couldn't get the upload to work so, this is a link to Imgur)

Kory

IMG_0247.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-29-2022 at 12:49 PM.

$200 is not a bad price for a bare motor and two pulleys of that size. You did good. His pictures are wierd. All but one in the dark from the wrong side. Does it look like normal size relationships the dark photos made it look like very short tables.
    Once again bad photos kept the price down .
    Remember the dried grease in the bearings is as old as the machine. I like dupont chain saver spray for lube of sliding gibs etc.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    $200 is not a bad price for a bare motor and two pulleys of that size. You did good. His pictures are wierd. All but one in the dark from the wrong side. Does it look like normal size relationships the dark photos made it look like very short tables.
    Once again bad photos kept the price down .
    Remember the dried grease in the bearings is as old as the machine. I like dupont chain saver spray for lube of sliding gibs etc.
    Bill D
    It's actually visually identical to the STAR machine. They probably both came from Geetech.

Your GeeTech jointer --does it have 3 or 4 knives? At one time the now defunct Sunhill Tools had a 4 knife GeeTech 8" jointer. Always thought 4 knives would give a really smooth cut.

Is this the grizzly version?
    If you use dust collection make sure the dust chute is not wide open on the top for a massive air leak. For now tape a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the dust chute so it sticks out 2 inches so it falls into, not next to, a collection box. I hold mine on with big magnet inside the box.
    Bill D.
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0656_m.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-29-2022 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Your GeeTech jointer --does it have 3 or 4 knives? At one time the now defunct Sunhill Tools had a 4 knife GeeTech 8" jointer. Always thought 4 knives would give a really smooth cut.
    Ive used 2 , 3 , and 4 . Best is 3 knives , 4 is , believe it or not …just too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    I'm not sure, but I can check. The head is quite rusted, so I'm going to spend $400 for a SHELIX helical to replace it regardless. This is a CT-200, which was sold by many many brands (the 8'' JET jointer for example was this model) so there are a lot of parts out there.