Thread: An Old Thanksgiving Story - Alice's Restaurant

Blog Entries

An Old Thanksgiving Story - Alice's Restaurant

If you are an older person you may remember the song Alice's Restaurant.

Saw this posted on a friend's Facebook page.

Thanksgiving Story.jpg

All 18 minutes and 15 seconds of the story here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

Arlo Guthrie & Alice Brock (Alice's Restaurant) 1968.jpg

I remember listening to this many times since it came out 55 years ago and I still have the 33rpm album.

Just watched an interview with Arlo Guthrie from 2017. He commented that more copies of this sold through PX stores than regular record stores.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-25-2022 at 3:06 AM. Reason: added: Just watched an interview
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Someone dumps their trash along the county road that leads to our garden plot and woodlot. I keep meaning to stop and clean it up. Jim, you have given me a sign to get that done. If I find any evidence who's trash it is, I hope I have the courage to return it to them.
    Best Regards, Maurice

"You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant."
    (My Dad doesnt sing it as well as Arlo, though.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Giving Woody's Dust Bowl Ballads, CD anthology a spin now.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-25-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Seen Arlo a few years ago he had his son and daughter in the band. He does tell some nice stories one is aboyt how he makes a living off the motorcycle song. Also about how he came up with Ring around the Rosie Rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    He does tell some nice stories one is aboyt how he makes a living off the motorcycle song.
    Another great tune!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    The Folkways recording of East Texas Red is my favorite Arlo (Woody) song.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you are an older person you may remember the song Alice's Restaurant.
    I’m git’n older and sure remember the song. The “Walk right in it’s around the back”, and the 8x10 glossy photos with circles and arrows... One of the first I learned to finger pick on the guitar, still playing it over 50 years later.

JKJ

I have the original Alice's Restaurant album and have been a fan of his father Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan since junior high school.
    Just in case anyone here doesn't know you can order a variety of very old record albums from the Library of Congress, that's where I ordered my Woody Guthrie albums decades ago.

About three years after Alice's Restaurant came out I was at my local Draft Board experiencing some of the same issues as Arlo did
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-26-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you who reported dutifully to the Draft Board!
    The video about the Folkways Sessions is very good. Arlo's part is a highlight. It seems some one liked it so much they failed to return it to our Library. I will request acquisition of a new copy, I am ready to watch it again.

Ask a Librarian... Here it is on the web

A Vision Shared: All Star Tribute to Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie on Vimeo
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-26-2022 at 2:46 PM. Reason: typo + Vimeo
    Best Regards, Maurice