Thread: Building a MFT: Part Three - making a fence.

Building a MFT: Part Three - making a fence.

One cannot test out a MFT as a saw table without it having a proper fence. There are a couple of very nice systems available, the Benchdogs in particular. But, in keeping with my aim to build the MFT for as little as possible, making the parts was the plan.

I like the Benchdogs “Fence Dogs”. While they are fairly inexpensive, Christmas loomed and shipping from the UK or USA to Australia would not. only double the price, but the ETA was a few months away. I am not that patient when there is a summer break. I had a cunning plan to make my own for pennies.

I did order and receive a short length of 20mm diameter UHMW rods. These proved to be stiff (a good thing), and I knew the material should be easy to work (another good thing if you do not have metal tools).

The challenge would be to drill a 6mm hole precisely square through a rod.

The rods were a smidgeon oversize - 20.5mm, which made them 0.55mm too wide. I turned them down on my wood lathe using a fine Japanese rasp to shave away the waste. This allowed the rods to sneak up on a tightish fit in the dog holes of the MFT.

Then I drilled a block of wood with a 20mm hole/mortice (in which to slide a rod) along with a 6mm hole (which would act as a guide through the centre of the rod). Careful measurements, as usual.

This was the final result, made up of the rods drilled, a 6mm thread and nut, and a knob to tighten all down.

The result was a very firm fitting even without anchoring the posts (typically, one would do this). The tightish slip fit was firm enough, and the fence sits squarely …

The fence is made from 6020 extrusion. I decided on a 800mm length (including the reduced height section), which is long enough to support most long boards (any longer and I would use my slider), and not be so long as to get in the way.

The final result …

(and, yes, there is more to come )

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great thread and information. When I have to drill the end of a rod, I put it in my Nova chuck on the lathe and drill bit in tailstock.

Thanks Larry!

I would do that as well ... and what I would have done had it been necessary to add clamping under the bench top.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks really great, nice work.