Thread: Lathe Upgrade - Shop Made Fixture

Lathe Upgrade - Shop Made Fixture

So, I currently have to turn 44 walnut balusters that are 42" long. I knew I'd need a spindle steady, but I didn't want to bolt it to the bed. So here's what I came up with.

https://youtu.be/OgE0rlLOwgQ

Matt
    I like your creativity, but I have a question. Is your steady rest planned as a one-time use item? I didn't watch the full video but the first thing I noticed was that it effectively locks your lathe to a set length. Had you thought about making mounts that mount to the rails below the headstock and beyond the tailstock, allowing the tailstock to move to varied lengths? Just a thought.

I personally don't see what you've gained by all the work you've done. What benefit do you get from this mounting method?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I personally don't see what you've gained by all the work you've done. What benefit do you get from this mounting method?
    Ed
    Having made balusters before, I can see how being able to move the tool rest the full length of the lathe bed would be advantageous. I also see how you still would have to work around the steady rest while in use. Supposition on my part of the OP's intent.
    Paul

Hi Ed, Paul hit the nail on the head. This setup allows me to move my toolrest the entire length of the piece while being able to leave the steady rest bolted down.

Paul,
    You're correct. This is currently locked into one length. My plan for future use is to make it fully adjustable. I didn't do that on this one because I was in such a hurry. But if I would have thought it through it wouldn't have taken any more time to attach the right end to the bed rather than the tailstock.

Thanks for the clarification

Matt, would a 2nd banjo work? Bolt the steady to the bed with a banjo on each side. About $300 for a spare banjo, and the set up and tear down time seems like it would be less.

Lots of ways to accomplish the same thing.

Me? I've got 2 banjos.

Steve Jones, a UK production turner (with a Youtube channel) has a super simple approach. Here is a link to one of his many videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-wGl9Q5B4 He uses a full-length tool rest (supported at each end) and a "flip-in" steady. So, he doesn't need to move his tool rest when working from one end of the spindle to the other, and the steady doesn't get in the way of his banjo.

111157-2b3ecca7f6f6dc89c77c4b53371f5426.jpg

Hey all, I decided it was necessary to make another toolrest. I had a 2 foot toolrest, but it wasn't long enough. I made a 3 foot toolrest, and I use a bolt down "banjo" to hold the second post. I've turned about 15 balusters, and though there are some issues with this setup I'm able to make it work. I will correct these issues for future projects.