Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14” Bandsaw - Which one

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    $1600 for a used saw for which you have to drive 5 hours each way makes the new Grizzly G0817 look like a pretty swell deal at $1649 + $239 for freight. About the same total money, and you get a brand-new saw, in stock, delivered to your door. Something to consider.

John
    I thought about grizzly but once you pay shipping and tax it is about same price as the 14BX 2.5hp new. Trying to avoid the shipping and tax if possible but I hear ya given The drive.

This used one is about $500 to $600 savings over new with tax. I’m trying to not keep inching the scale up another few hundred as that never ends and I’ll have myself buying a bigger saw than I want. Been there on my last shop lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    If I had the space, and money, I'd go for the new Hammer if there are any left. It’s been on sale for $1k.
    i looked but only a 12” saw.

13-1/4" rip capacity. The Rikon is only 13. 13-5/8 for the Pro, but it's 3k.

First of all, I am not a spokesman for Laguna. As a matter of fact, on multiple occasions my direct contact with Laguna personnel has been less than pleasant, both at trade shows and at their California facility. I always had the feeling when dealing with the folks at Laguna that I should be grateful that they were willling to sell me their tools. However, when I wanted a new bandsaw, at the recommendation of my tool dealer, I went with the Laguna and I couldn't be happier. It's probably my favorite power tool in the shop. I guess if I ever need any warranty service or just general service, I can deal with my tool dealer and he can deal with those entitled ****s.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, as long as I didn't have to deal with Laguna directly. Go for the Laguna. Of your four choices, I would go with the 14BX, assuming it is in good shape and has been well taken care of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    I think that makes sense Greg. I’m a big fan of the foot brake. I have the 14bx, a MM16, and a Tannewitz GH36. The minimax and laguna both have foot brakes. The Tannewitz has a baldor electronic brake. I prefer foot brakes, and wouldn’t want to be without a brake of some sort. Good luck!
    +1 on the brake. My saw doesn’t have one and I like to detention the blade. So if the last thing I do before quitting for the day is make a cut with the BS, I have to wait.

I suggest pm 14 pwbs bandsaw.
    I had one that worked perfectly and was as smooth running as my 20 inch.
    Half the diameter of the wheel is a good rule to follow for resawing. 7 or 8 inches for a 14 inch wheel
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I suggest pm 14 pwbs bandsaw.
    I had one that worked perfectly and was as smooth running as my 20 inch.
    Half the diameter of the wheel is a good rule to follow for resawing. 7 or 8 inches for a 14 inch wheel
    Good Luck
    do you think that can handle resawing well? Like as well as the newer steel framed saws? I know where I can get a 10 year old copy of the Powermatic that was rebuilt with new tires belts etc. and it has the 6 inch riser kit on it, but it has the 1.5 hp motor looks to be in great shape otherwise and would be cheaper than these newer steel frame options.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 11-24-2022 at 3:35 PM.

No 14" cast iron bandsaw can put much tension on a 1/2" blade. My Delta can comfortably muster only 12 ksi on a 1/2" blade. It's not because the spring is subpar, it's the frame. The yellow paint one or other clones are no different. Any of the steel frame saws you're looking at should be able to easily put 20 ksi on one. Despite what some folks think or do, tension is the number one factor for a blade to cut straight and efficiently. If you want to use this saw for resawing, you want a steel frame saw.

Pay once, cry once, then enjoy a saw that meets your needs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’ve also just found a used 1.75hp laguna 14bx for $1,600. It has a 3/8” blade but no other accessories. Looks like new.

with tax, prices would be approximately:
    New Jet HWBS-14SFX = $1,510 without blade
    New Rikon 10-326 = $1,549 without blade
    Used Laguna 14BX 1.75 with 3/8 blade = $1,600
    new laguna 14/12 = $1,718 without blade

I’m thinking the 14BX is a good choice if I can get it given the foot brake. Does this make sense?
    I would immediately change out any blade that comes on any saw, and thus the with/without blade distinction would not influence my decision. The blade that came on my Rikon 10-325 was junk. Being my first BS, it took me a while to realize that was the issue. I've read several posts over the years with a similar story.

I don't know if the Rikon 10-326 guides are the same as the 10-326 upgrade guides for the 10-325, but I find the lower guides difficult to adjust. It is very cramped around the lower right guide adjustment button as well as the lower guide assembly mounts with just a single bolt. It seems like it should have a second anchor point. Maybe it's a more solid mount in the 326. But overall, I like saw.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

do you think that can handle resawing well? Like as well as the newer steel framed saws? I know where I can get a 10 year old copy of the Powermatic that was rebuilt with new tires belts etc. and it has the 6 inch riser kit on it, but it has the 1.5 hp motor looks to be in great shape otherwise and would be cheaper than these newer steel frame options.
    I don’t really like riser blocks. But it would mean you get a longer blade and that’s good. Longer blades last longer for a little bit more money.
    when I had my pm 14 I would buy Olsen blades from a Rockler store. Olsen has a good variety of blades. At the store I would inspect the welds I like a good weld. Bad one are easy to spot.
    Good Luck
    Aj

So, the guy with the used Laguna 14BX backed out and doesn’t want to sell it so I’m back to the drawing board. The used PM 14 doesn’t have a fence which takes away from it’s value proposition compared to the new ones. The above all said, after thinking I was going to be able to get the used 14BX, I’m still wanting something with a brake and I’d like to find something I can pick up tomorrow and not deal with shipping costs or hassle. I’m free tomorrow to make a drive, but not always free to deal with shipping deliveries.

So, I’m going to call around tomorrow to see if any of the stores within 3 hours drive have a 14BX in stock, preferably the 2.5hp version. I’m not sure if the woodcraft/rockler stores sell any other machine with foot brake or motor brake that is in this price range. So, it would mean dropping back to a 14/12 or being forced to deal with shipping. Ugh.

Looking locally for a 2.5hp 14bx is a good move imho.

So, the guy with the used Laguna 14BX backed out and doesn’t want to sell it so I’m back to the drawing board. The used PM 14 doesn’t have a fence which takes away from it’s value proposition compared to the new ones. The above all said, after thinking I was going to be able to get the used 14BX, I’m still wanting something with a brake and I’d like to find something I can pick up tomorrow and not deal with shipping costs or hassle. I’m free tomorrow to make a drive, but not always free to deal with shipping deliveries.

So, I’m going to call around tomorrow to see if any of the stores within 3 hours drive have a 14BX in stock, preferably the 2.5hp version. I’m not sure if the woodcraft/rockler stores sell any other machine with foot brake or motor brake that is in this price range. So, it would mean dropping back to a 14/12 or being forced to deal with shipping. Ugh.
    If you go for the 14BX you now jumped into a new price range, but I don't think you will regret the safety feature of the foot brake, I use mine all the time to make sure the blade stops. At least for me, it was a required feature when buying a saw. If you have 220v in your shop or the space in your breaker box for a double pole circuit, the 2.5 HP will help if you plan to resaw. If you are just using the saw for flat stock, while extra HP is always good, you would be fine with 1.75. (or just go a little slower).

FYI - blades matter, a lot. Laguna makes very nice blades, so do other manufactures. I've had good luck with timberwolf blades ordered direct from them. Other's will have some other great recommendations also.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Might want to consider Harvey. I know a guy who has and is extremely happy with it, he was looking at th Rikon and Laguna.

Visited Rockler and Woodcraft in Jacksonville, FL. They were super busy for the Black Friday sales. Especially Rockler. I had worried that it would be difficult to find the 14BX 2.5hp in stock but I called Rockler and they had one in stock (floor model) and they held it for me. Didn’t even call Woodcraft but went there after Rockler and turns out they had a floor model and one in the box. Who would have known since their websites both either said to call for stock or not available. Anyway, lots of driving but it was a good day. I’m tired so it may be tomorrow before I get the mobile base assembled and under the saw. Thanks for the feedback on the thread.

8A99D9AE-0E04-410C-A4D0-4FDA19740EF0.jpg

DDAF2FC3-D890-41BF-9B6C-C46DFEAE27BD.jpg

1F8065DF-030C-4797-BDDA-EB2FC9CF7059.jpg

29F5C5FD-C9FD-410D-84D8-BB0F19A118F0.jpg

AB1E7989-EF94-4A53-8F25-B96EE88BE6C4.jpg

AA99F38C-03D0-493D-8821-1119726B0CC1.jpg

8D7BE989-C1D9-45B1-8FBD-487AEA941017.jpg