Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14” Bandsaw - Which one

Question 14” Bandsaw - Which one

Looking to get a 14” steel bandsaw and right now these are the three I’m looking at:

Jet JWBS-14SFX - $1,399

Rikon 10-326 - $1,439

Laguna 14/12 - $1,599

I've read reviews and watched videos and still can’t decide which is the best bet. All 3 are 1-3/4 hp motor, cast iron wheels, similar weight 260-300lb, cast iron trunions (I think), etc.

Alex Snodgrass seemed to really praise the Jet. Everyone says positive stuff about the laguna and rikon. Is there one thing that makes one really better beyond the price in this case?

(and please don’t say buy a bigger saw. I’ve had a 17” grizzly and 16” minimax in the past but a smaller saw meets my current needs. I’ve watched the used market for months and nothing similar has worked out thus far. I’m specifically looking at these 3 14” models due to their similar price points. As such the grizzly and Harvey 14” are not in my list due to big price differences)
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 11-24-2022 at 10:09 AM.

All nice machines. I'd probably look closely at the guide systems and fences to help with the decision or just pick your favorite color. "Available" is also applicable here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 14bx not the 14/12. That said, I really really love my laguna. The quality of the saw really influenced my decision when I purchased a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    All nice machines. I'd probably look closely at the guide systems and fences to help with the decision or just pick your favorite color. "Available" is also applicable here.
    kinda what I was thinking Jim. Looks like I can get any of the three at one of the woodcraft or rockler stores within 3 hours of here. I’m kinda leaning to the Jet just because of price if I can get one at the Black Friday pricing. But having tinkered with them in the stores on prior trips I sort of felt the laguna was built a little smoother overall. Laguna just isn’t on sale right now like jet and rikon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have the 14bx not the 14/12. That said, I really really love my laguna. The quality of the saw really influenced my decision when I purchased a lathe.
    price aside, I’d get the 14bx with 2.5hp but don’t want to spend the extra $600 if one of the above meets most of my needs. Had been hoping to find a used bx model for price of these new ones but no luck so far.

Not sure of your area, but around here used but decent 14" saws like you're looking at are available every week for $200-700.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Not sure of your area, but around here used but decent 14" saws like you're looking at are available every week for $200-700.
    not here. I’ve been watching a 500 mile range on used market and nothing other than trashed saws or really worn cast iron saws and they’ve been priced as high as new steel frame. I’m not wanting a cast iron saw though. Anyway the used market hasn’t worked and I’m really not after a large saw so these 3 have been the best return on dollar I’ve seen looking at new.

Hi Greg,

I have the 14/12 and love it. I have had it for 2+ years now with no complaints. It is used on nearly every project. I was considering the same three saws a when I purchased. To me the fit and finish of the Laguna and Rikon saws was better but just marginally (nothing against the Jet.) I know some do not like the ceramic guides on the Laguna but for me it was the deciding factor. It may have been my naivety but I considered fewer moving parts (stationary ceramic guides versus moving bearings) to be a good thing and that pushed me to the Laguna. With the right blade for the operation at hand, it has handled everything that I asked of it.

I went through this recently. I started with those models but price creeped myself into something different. To keep this comment simple and not ramble on forever about all the other choices for “just a little bit more” - Of those 3 I’d get the 1412.

I’ve also just found a used 1.75hp laguna 14bx for $1,600. It has a 3/8” blade but no other accessories. Looks like new.

with tax, prices would be approximately:
    New Jet HWBS-14SFX = $1,510 without blade
    New Rikon 10-326 = $1,549 without blade
    Used Laguna 14BX 1.75 with 3/8 blade = $1,600
    new laguna 14/12 = $1,718 without blade

I’m thinking the 14BX is a good choice if I can get it given the foot brake. Does this make sense?

I think that makes sense Greg. I’m a big fan of the foot brake. I have the 14bx, a MM16, and a Tannewitz GH36. The minimax and laguna both have foot brakes. The Tannewitz has a baldor electronic brake. I prefer foot brakes, and wouldn’t want to be without a brake of some sort. Good luck!

I’m waiting to hear back from the seller. It would mean a 5 hour drive each way to go get it tomorrow. It’s thanksgiving so I’m sure they have stuff going on right now like most.

if this doesn’t work out I’ll be back to my original 3 to consider. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’ve also just found a used 1.75hp laguna 14bx for $1,600. It has a 3/8” blade but no other accessories. Looks like new.

with tax, prices would be approximately:
    New Jet HWBS-14SFX = $1,510 without blade
    New Rikon 10-326 = $1,549 without blade
    Used Laguna 14BX 1.75 with 3/8 blade = $1,600
    new laguna 14/12 = $1,718 without blade

I’m thinking the 14BX is a good choice if I can get it given the foot brake. Does this make sense?
    I have a 14BX 2.5 and love it. The foot brake is a great safety feature and time saver also, not having to wait for the saw to wind down. The quality of the 14/12 is on par with a 14/bx, just a little lighter machine. The Jet and Rikon are also nice, however while I have or had JET tools in the past, for some reason I didn't care much for their bandsaw when I was in the similar market you are in now. Rikon was my 2nd choice but I just went for my first choice. I also go a nice deal as Laguna had one in their outlet stock. My saw was in a trade show and never plugged in. Got it for 20% less than new and at the time wasn't hit up for sales tax since it was shipped from California to NJ.

Two options if you can hold out, unless you grab that used 14BX, and you might get it for less if you make a slightly lower offer (not lowball, maybe offer 1500 or so).

1) Laguna is having a giveaway for a 14BX: https://lagunatools.com/14bx-giveaway/
    2) check with Morgan @ Laguna to see if they have one in their marketplace. [COLOR=var( --e-global-color-secondary )]outlet_sales@lagunatools.com[/COLOR]

But if you go with 1 or 2, you will have to wait and miss out on maybe the used one or a sale on the JET if you decide that model.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’m waiting to hear back from the seller. It would mean a 5 hour drive each way to go get it tomorrow. It’s thanksgiving so I’m sure they have stuff going on right now like most.

if this doesn’t work out I’ll be back to my original 3 to consider. 😂
    $1600 for a used saw for which you have to drive 5 hours each way makes the new Grizzly G0817 look like a pretty swell deal at $1649 + $239 for freight. About the same total money, and you get a brand-new saw, in stock, delivered to your door. Something to consider.

John

If I had the space, and money, I'd go for the new Hammer if there are any left. Its been on sale for $1k.