Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14” Bandsaw - Which one

Congrats on a great saw.

Congrats, Greg! That's a nice looking machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Greg,

Good deal - you got your saw, and the 2.5hp so that is a bonus. That resaw king you bought isn't such a great blade, so just mail it to me and i'll make sure it gets properly recycled. <Joke> It's an amazing blade. One recommendation: If you are using the saw to just break down some wood and not resawing, put on a 1/2" or 5/8" blade with a 3-4 tpi (like a Laguna Shearforce 5/8" X 3-4 TPI X 115" or something similar). It's a great all around blade for say, ripping the rough edges off some 4/4 or 6/4 stock.

Since you saw is new, there are two bolts that are usually kept tight for shipping purposes for the upper wheel. When you go to install your blade, you might realize the upper wheel isn't moving when you change the adjustment. Laguna posted instructions on how to adjust these bolts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wVNliX6qgI

If you have any questions let me know, I have the same model and like any tool there is some bit of learning curve to get through to set it up.

Congratulations on your new saw!

Justin
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Thanks guys.

Excellent video Justin! Thank you. On the blades, I was looking for something like the 1/2” shear force but I didn’t find one on the shelf. Figured the two I grabbed would get me started with something to mount when I got it home and then I could order some more options as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks guys.

Excellent video Justin! Thank you. On the blades, I was looking for something like the 1/2” shear force but I didn’t find one on the shelf. Figured the two I grabbed would get me started with something to mount when I got it home and then I could order some more options as needed.
    You don't need to stick with Laguna blades either. I have been using timberwolf blades recently and like them a lot, plus they are priced well if you grab them from this site:

https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    You don't need to stick with Laguna blades either. I have been using timberwolf blades recently and like them a lot, plus they are priced well if you grab them from this site:

https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php
    Thanks, i used those on my prior Grizzly and Minimax saws.

Do you remember if you left the rubber feet on your 14BX when you put it in a mobile base, or did you remove them? I left them on when putting the saw in the Rockler All Terrain base this morning but am wondering if I should have removed them for more stability since I’m not sitting on the floor. Just curious.

D2A2C006-6E2F-47E6-9982-D0A8261B8891.jpg

Thanks, i used those on my prior Grizzly and Minimax saws.

Do you remember if you left the rubber feet on your 14BX when you put it in a mobile base, or did you remove them? I left them on when putting the saw in the Rockler All Terrain base this morning but am wondering if I should have removed them for more stability since I’m not sitting on the floor. Just curious.

D2A2C006-6E2F-47E6-9982-D0A8261B8891.jpg
    Ho
    I have Laguna's mobility kit installed on mine, so mine sits on the floor and only lifts onto the wheels when I engage the mobile wheels. So yes, the rubber feet are on my saw. However if I was to install a 3rd party i'd leave the rubber feet on.

I have mine in an HTC base and I left the rubber feet on.

Perfect, thanks guys!

I sold my Laguna 16 prior to us moving west. I liked that saw a lot. I bought the BX in ‘15 and have been very pleased with it. I went with an aftermarket base too. Laguna is very proud of their accessories so I don’t have those dandy lights they offer or the mobility kit. I’d like to try the Resaw King blade but can’t go the cost. I’ve had good results with Highlands Wood Slicer. Once we move to the new place in Feb I will try to adapt the electrical to handle a work light for the saw. Has anyone done this.

"Adapt the electrical" has me stumped. Are you saying that you'd like to plug a light into the outlet provided on the saw? Its plug and play, no modification necessary.

I think he is referring to the outlet being a 220v on the 14BX 2.5hp. Laguna sells both a 110 and a 220 version of the light. Many of the Amazon clones appear to advertise they work on 110 - 240 though.

On the mobile base, I read a lot indicating the factory wheel kit wasn’t as stable with only 3 wheels but given my horse stall mat floor, I wanted to try the Rockler All Terrain base anyway so given a 20% Black Friday coupon, I went with it. If my experience with it is good over the coming few days, I’ll probably order a second one to replace my 3 wheel Jet 8” jointer mobile base. The 3 wheel versions are a pain on my rubber flooring, so I’m hoping these large wheel Rockler bases prove to be good.

... Didn’t even call Woodcraft but went there after Rockler and turns out they had a floor model and one in the box. Who would have known since their websites both either said to call for stock or not available.
    I've learned that lesson from the Clearwater Woodcraft. Always call. Their website's indication of inventory is very often wrong.

Congrats on the new saw. I had a 14SUV and really liked it, except for the fence. I especially liked the ceramic guides.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Just get a bulb rated 'up to' 240v

Just grab a few 'sewing machine' led lights off Amazon for $20 and plug them into a 110v outlet. Even if it works at 220v, not worth even the cost of changing the plug if you have 110v right next to your saw.