Thread: Source for small drill bit with 1/8 or 1/4" shank ?

Source for small drill bit with 1/8 or 1/4" shank ?

I need to machine some 5/8" PVC sheet stock into something like "peg board". I have some flexibility on hole diameter size but in the .080 " range. Depth of hole needs to be 1/2". I have a 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 1/2" collets. Drilling about 500 holes in a 15x30" sheet.

I can find bits with 1/4 shanks, but depth is 3/8". I've also found router bits but depth is still a problem.

Looking for a source anyone may have.

Thanks.

I've used this one for cutting acrylic sheet and it worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I don't see anyone offering an endmill or cnc drill bit smaller than 1/8" with a cutting length longer than 1/2".

John

ER-11 straight shank extension. Need to be cut off for a router.

Assuming you don't have a spindle. Otherwise, ER collets are available in all sorts of 'oddball' sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've used this one for cutting acrylic sheet and it worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I don't see anyone offering an endmill or cnc drill bit smaller than 1/8" with a cutting length longer than 1/2".

John
    That bit isn't good for pvc as it won't clear the hole and weld the pvc to it. It use single flute up spiral to cut and drill pvc. I just finished running 4 4x8 sheets of PVC for 5 different trade show booths.

I do have a spindle on my Stinger 1 which has been in storage for a couple of years while we moved. I just checked and the 3/16 collet says ER 20 if that helps.

Jerome, are you saying a standard drill bit will not work?

Thanks

'Toolots' has an ER-20 3/32 for ~$6. It should easily compress to .080. The cutter above would be fine for routing hard plastic. You just need a stoneage level drill bit. And keep the rpm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I do have a spindle on my Stinger 1 which has been in storage for a couple of years while we moved. I just checked and the 3/16 collet says ER 20 if that helps.

Jerome, are you saying a standard drill bit will not work?

Thanks
    You culd try one but you would have to slow the rpms way down

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    'Toolots' has an ER-20 3/32 for ~$6. It should easily compress to .080. The cutter above would be fine for routing hard plastic. You just need a stoneage level drill bit. And keep the rpm down.
    A .093 collet will compress down to .080 as you say, but you will likely loose some concentricity in doing so. You might be better off using a 5/64 collet (.078)
    https://tormach.com/er20-collet-32484.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That bit isn't good for pvc as it won't clear the hole and weld the pvc to it. It use single flute up spiral to cut and drill pvc. I just finished running 4 4x8 sheets of PVC for 5 different trade show booths.
    Really. The ad says it works with PVC. It sure worked well with acrylic.

John

Thank you to everybody. Just to add some detail, I will be making some clips to hold some led string lights that will be a holiday display. The clips will be made by turning 12 gauge copper wire into a straight rod by twisting it. these clips will be inserted into the drilled holes. I need to make a few clips to get a more exact diameter and then I'll know what collet and bit combination I need.

Thanks again.