Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holly identification

Blog Entries

Holly identification

We are taking down a tree that too near a cellar stairway. The tree guy told me it’s a holly. This thing is about 16 “ diameter and 40 feet tall with a very straight trunk. When I hear holly, I think very white and very expensive. I think it’s an American holly. So is this the good stuff?

D963B107-0C0C-4F0C-8FD7-A57567099FA5.jpg

F59CB213-D7B9-4F69-BD03-C06A9001E9BC.jpg

Absolutely
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-23-2022 at 7:29 PM.

There are folks who would kill for that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

this is very "good stuff"
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    We are taking down a tree that too near a cellar stairway. The tree guy told me it’s a holly. This thing is about 16 “ diameter and 40 feet tall with a very straight trunk. When I hear holly, I think very white and very expensive. I think it’s an American holly. So is this the good stuff?…
    The leaves on yours are somewhat different from what I usually see here but I know they vary widely. I found this:
    2509B618-0483-4173-A493-F2DCBA9B8997.jpg

The bark looks right. This time of the year the trees should have berries and may be ripening to a bright red.

I love holly for woodturning for its white color and especially for the fine grain - a sharp gouge can leave a surface that needs little or no sanding.

If you want holly to stay white my experience and the advice from the experts is to cut the tree when the weather is quite cold and “dry aggressively”; kiln drying is recommended but all of mine is air dried. If cut in warm weather it tends to get an ugly grey stain, from fungus I think. I have some holly I processed in the winter that has stayed a beautiful pure white and other cut and dried when warmer that looks awful. Fortunately even the ugly grey holly is still great at the lathe and can be bleached or dyed.

JKJ

Yes, there are lots of holly varieties, but once you get rid of the leaves the wood pieces “ all look alike”. It’s the whitest of all woods . Boxwood
    is nice if you prefer yellow. When holly is adjacent to to a dark wood , especially ebony , it’s dust can smear into the holly. Only used them
    together a couple of times. Sanded , then used sharp scraper. The holly is so grainless that it’s surprising how the black dust sinks in.

Blog Entries
    Holly is very white. I was given a piece years ago when I traveled for work. The person who gave it to me was a fellow woodworker I met through a woodworking forum. Here are two projects I made using some of the holly.
    cherrybox1.jpg4frame.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Holly is very white. I was given a piece years ago when I traveled for work. The person who gave it to me was a fellow woodworker I met through a woodworking forum. Here are two projects I made using some of the holly.
    Nice!

I know a guy who made good use of holly on his ornamental rose engine lathe. He liked it because of the color and because it cut so cleanly. He said he ordered high quality pure white holly from some supplier and it was very expensive. (I don't remember the name of the supplier.)

Most of what I have I cut from smaller trees, maybe 8-12” in diameter. But once a friend gave me some holly log sections that were between 20 and 24” in diameter - the only time I’ve seen such big holly trees! That was maybe 15 years ago and I still have some good-sized chunks that somehow stayed white, probably because they were cut at the beginning of winter the force few years of sir drying they were in a cool place. They are well dried now. 😁

Holly does have an abundance of pores, hard to see because of the whiteness so it can easily pick up fine sawdust and color from adjacent darker wood but this lets it take stain and dye well. I know woodturners who have used it as a substitute for ebony, dying with a black leather dye.

Another potential problem with at least some holly is the presence of knots. That seemed to be less of a problem with larger managed trees presumably since small branches were trimmed off as the tree grew. All the many dozens of holly trees in our woods have branches starting near the ground and have lots of knots.

For this message I'm using a computer with access to my photos so here are a few turnings from holly. I love holly for finials and thin spindles. Here's one from holly and one from ebony; the photo was to illustrate using 2MT collets to hold the work with a 1/2" tenon for turning.

collet_finials.jpg

A couple of ornaments with holly, the whitest bell is holly. Sometimes for thin spindles I use Myland's shellac-based friction polish which makes it holly little less white.

acrylic_IMG_5655.jpg bells_PC244161es.jpg

The Myland's finish also has an unintended side effect - I've had a number of people tell me that my holly wands and batons look like bone, or with some carving and fill color, antler. Some of the white wands are holly.

wands_2_carved_P7203927es.jpg wand_holly_carved_P7203954.jpg crops.jpg crops_one_D_fp.jpg wands_tangle_P7203955cs.jpg

JKJ

Thanks for putting those up. The box is my favorite, I like to be warm and when I go left , right …I feel warm …cold. Warm colors save money
    on heating bills . Pretty sure that in olden days some people made their own dentures out of holly , “Only trouble with this stuff is it’s too
    dog-gone white !” Probably used them for going to church , not eating.

here's 2 pieces i did several years ago when holly "boards" were not too uncommon - but still kind of rare finds - the fish are holly and ebony. the box is holly with several species for the butterfly
    jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jerry

Jerry, the fish are marvelously artful and beautiful ! Now, Why did you kill that butterfly?

Blog Entries
    I just looked another tree that's also too close to the foundation. It's also a holly.

Man I would give an arm and a leg to have holly trees like yours growing in my yard!

I just looked another tree that's also too close to the foundation. It's also a holly.

I’d better drive up next week - you are going to need some help so you don’t have too much holly wood on your hands.

Holly is so nice. I have read that you need to saw it and kiln dry quickly to preserve the color.