Thread: Coffee Filter Insertion Tool

Blog Entries

Coffee Filter Insertion Tool

Most of the time my turning is for tool handles and ends up in the Neanderthal Haven. I'm more of a utilitarian turner and not a turner of beautiful pieces of art.

Candy and I seldom get up at the same time. She has her own Coffee maker and this morning, on the rare occasion of me being in the kitchen when she was making coffee, she expressed her dislike of how the coffee filter always seems to crumple & crinkle when she puts it in the filter holder. Too much crumpling & crinkling and grounds end up in the coffee. This seemed like a simple solution if I could find a hunk of wood large enough. The opening was measured at 3-1/4". Actually I used a metal 1 cup measuring cup to press the filter in place and that was how big it was.

So off to the shop and after a while at the lathe this was made from a piece of alder:

Filter Press.jpg

Set the filter on top of the holder, press down with the filter press, it did the job:

Pressing Fileter .jpg

Candy is happy, she'll let me be for another day.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-23-2022 at 7:25 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So simple, yet so fantastic !!! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Form Follows Function! Utility Equals Beauty!
    Best Regards, Maurice

You better get a patton filed.😉

As they say...happy wife, happy life.

Blog Entries
    She has been using it, likes it and doesn't have any crunchy coffee at the bottom of the cup.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Seems to me that thing could be used for other jobs, like pounding meat, forming a hamburger, or crushing garlic and spices.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Seems to me that thing could be used for other jobs, like pounding meat, forming a hamburger, or crushing garlic and spices.
    Yes it could Russell. I think other designs might work better for those jobs.

I have made pestles for using with a small bowl to be a mortar and pestle for crushing spices. Also made carver's mallets and one somewhat like a carver's mallet that Candy uses to mash potatoes.

I used to make mallets to sell at a local farmers market. Not many were interested in a carpenter's mallet until one end was cut for pounding or tenderizing meat:

Tenderizer.jpg

The little pyramids were cut on a bandsaw.

Some of the work of making it is here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?218732

Part of the sales pitch was the flat side is good for breaking up a bag of ice when the cubes had become frozen together. Sold a few of them.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Well it is official. While in the kitchen this morning Candy was in the process of making coffee and held up the filter insertion tool, looked at me and said, "best invention ever."

My comment was that it would be hard to get to market. Besides, just as soon as you made a few and started selling them, someone in Indonesia would be making them by the gazillions and selling them for less.

jtk

https://cafefabrique.com/products/or...r-shaping-tool
    Sorry Jim, you waited a bit too long

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    https://cafefabrique.com/products/or...r-shaping-tool
    Sorry Jim, you waited a bit too long
    That tool serves a different purpose. Though it might also work to insert a pleated filter into a Mr. Coffee style brewer.

jtk