Thread: Do Euro vs USA versions of name-brand contractor power tools have the same motor?

Do Euro vs USA versions of name-brand contractor power tools have the same motor?

Are the motors of tools like the Dewalt 7491 jobsite table saw (US) and the Dewalt 7492 (Euro version) identical? Do these tools ship from the factory with a motor that can run on either 240V 50hz or 120V 60hz, and a plug for the destination market, so that all that would be needed to run the 7491 on a 240V circuit in the US would be a change of plug?

I found a parts list that shows the armature and field assy with different part numbers for 115 and 230.

So I'm guessing no on a plug swap. A small transformer would probably be pretty economical.

That saw has a "universal" motor, which in the case of your question, is a bit of a misnomer - universal in the sense that the basic motor design can theoretically run on either AC or DC.

To the point of your question, though - this type of "universal" motor's speed is proportional to voltage, so if you simply connected it to 240V, it would run too fast. The 120V vs 240V versions have a different winding of the stator.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would run at close to the same speed and draw half the amperage.

Would a 2400W transformer be adequate?

My friend Helmut runs a few European tools here in the US. But he leverages a 240v outlet with an adapter setup that include a Euro breaker, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, a 240:120 transformer would work, and 2400W would be adequate (15A*120V=1800W)