Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal style side table

Federal style side table

Had to satisfy my need to build a small full round federal style table. This one sort of fought me all the way, but after quite a few “just walk aways”, I managed to win most battles.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all!

5BE10349-4F0D-409A-92FE-0BCE4CC44E60.jpg AF5C1642-4862-4259-803B-8269BEF92975.jpg

I'm gob smacked! That is simply amazing. Master work.

John

Stunning work! Even though this is not normally "my style", that specific round table would certainly be an art form I could appreciate in my own home for a visual accent. I may have to try the technique someday!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Had to satisfy my need to build a small full round federal style table. This one sort of fought me all the way, but after quite a few “just walk aways”, I managed to win most battles.
    Suh, we in the South do NOT cotton to Federal YANKEE brag-uh- dote-see-O , un- seam-LEE Star….or cannon bursts….except when the
    seams are so beautifully fitted. It’s slightly beefy….definitely a mans table, yes I think I perseev your guile…..but your wife will probably
    claim it anyway ! Nice Try !

]
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-23-2022 at 8:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging.

That is a beautiful table Phil! Happy Thanksgiving!

Fantastically detailed work well executed! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Exellent work...the fan has a nice 3D appearance. Did you shade the wood to achieve this, or is it the natural figure wood? Either way, it looks awsome.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    If this is what a table that fought you the entire time looks like.... sheesh. In other words, wow. Would you mind posting a few more pics and close ups please? Any in-progress shots would be appreciated too. Thank you!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thank you all for the nice complements!
    Jim, thought of you several times during the project, thinking, this would sure be easier with a CNC!
    Bob, I’m afraid I didn’t photo document much during the project. It currently resides with a family member, so next time I’m there, I’ll see about some more photos.
    Mel, made me laugh out loud…thank you.

Christian, the ovals and center fan were made with the sand shading technique. One of my favorite parts of the build. If you’re unfamiliar, there is a YouTube vid on the process. Just search “sand shading an oval fan”.

Phil, a high school friend of mine has been experimenting with veneers and marquetry using them. He tried his CNC first, but the hold-down was extremely difficult. He switched to his small Otur laser and that's been a game changer. The one he has wouldn't be large enough for the bigger pieces of your table's design (and those are relatively easy to handle traditionally, but it would certainly speed up producing all the detail veneer pieces. I have one of those small lasers and I hope to get to play with it finally once I'm in the new shop building.
    --

Good to know, Jim, thank you!

I guess the lesson about that my friend learned is that because of how the laser cuts without touching the material, other than the need to keep it flat while cutting, it's not going to move and the cuts can be very precise. That can be a real boon when doing anything with a lot of detail since the precision can be high with no risk of cutting your fingers with a sharp blade
    --

Makes sense Jim. Lost track of how many xacto and scalpel blades were used. I’m left handed, so a veneer saw is awkward for me. And yes, my templates are only 1/8th” plexi, so a definite need to check finger placement before cutting!

I bought this after an “accident” some time ago. Works great to keep fingers out of the way for straight cuts.

196BCA40-7C56-41D8-813F-E73DA6376F27.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Makes sense Jim. Lost track of how many xacto and scalpel blades were used. I’m left handed, so a veneer saw is awkward for me. And yes, my templates are only 1/8th” plexi, so a definite need to check finger placement before cutting!

I bought this after an “accident” some time ago. Works great to keep fingers out of the way for straight cuts.

196BCA40-7C56-41D8-813F-E73DA6376F27.jpg
    Very nice safety ruler Phil...I think I recall a similar "accident" when the knife jumped over the straightedge and bit my thumb which was too close.