Thread: What Projects Do You Have Underway?

What Projects Do You Have Underway?

Hi all, I currently am working on two projects, the big one is on hold.

The big one is shelves for Donna's kitchen pantry. I have the shelves built and finished, but have only installed about 1/3rd of them. We are remodeling the house, and the kitchen is the current project. The flooring guy has advised me not to install the shelves that will need supports going to the floor until he has the flooring in, and he can't install the flooring until the plumbing is finished. The plumbing can't be finished until the counter tops are in place and the sink, etc. is in place. Hopefully these will be done within a couple of weeks so I can finish installing the shelves and the pantry will be finished.

The other project is a very small one. I bought a couple of handscrew clamps a few years ago on the auction site for a great price. When they arrived I saw the reason for the great price. The clamps had been heavily used for years, and instead of being straight, the jaws were splayed apart at the tips, and were curved apart when the back half of the jaws were flat against each other. The gap at the tip of the jaws was slightly less than 3/16".

I had wanted to fix them since I got them, to make them better to use, and just got started on them. I took them apart and planed the curve of the jaws flat, and now the jaws are flat against each other when closed. However, the jaws and handles were very dark brown with ages of linseed oil darkening, had a few blotches of dried glue, and had some dirt and dust imbedded in the finish. The treaded rods were also pretty dark instead of being bright.

I am in the process of cleaning them up and restoring them to a better appearance, besides getting them to the point of better functioning again.

What projects do you have underway?

Regards,

Stew

2" tube steel plan table with a 1-1/2" Plywood top, Not sure if I want it trimmed with hardwood or not. It will have 3 drawers on each end. Its 10' wide and 37" deep.

and a bunch of cutting boards in my garage

Ive had a lack of inspiration for 6 months or so. Am trying to re-kindle my interest by trying a new jewellery box plan.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My current efforts are being spent on making some boxes to hold side rabbet planes.

This is the inspiration:

Side Rabbet Holder.jpg

That was possibly a pair seen on ebay. My design will be slightly different.

Currently my effort has been toward learning to do mitered corners at the ends of a dovetail joint. Derek Cohen has an excellent tutorial for this on his web site. My difficulty is the computer is not in the shop to keep checking. A few of the images were printed and helped considerably. My first practice attempt was a little misaligned, but it looks promising.

This has been mulled over in my mind for quite some time. Recently a second pair of side rabbets was offered to me at a price that couldn't be refused. The plan is to give them to my grandson when he & his sister comes to visit in January.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’m working on a cane handle, a quick scrap box to hold the compass cutting tool I’m machining to cut circles and radii in wood projects and another calendar similar to one I posted about before.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Currently building two single beds, to be followed by two bedside tables. Also waiting to start on a MFT bench top.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My current efforts are being spent on making some boxes to hold side rabbet planes.
    As an aside... Side rabbets are one of those tools in my kit that hardly get used - but when I need them, they are indispensible - exactly the right tool for the job. I just used mine yesterday.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Primary bedroom remodel is on the drawing board. It will feature a 12x7 walk-in closet featuring six, 33”w x 22”d x 84h modules, with 3 drawers each. Solid maple drawer boxes, maple cabinet grade cabinets, solid maple face frames. Clear polycarbonate finish. Blum under-mount drawer slides, plus two 27”w x 15”d x 84”h shelving units. No interior demolition or framing allowed until closet modules are finished. 18 drawer boxes are done and fitted. Need to add the pulls. Cabinet carcasses are done, but face frames need to be finished. I prefinished the sheet goods. The project is on hold as we help one child transition to his first house and make preparations for hosting out of town kids, in-laws and grand children for Christmas. Parts for a Montessori children’s activity table and modular chairs are on the workbench. This is a Christmas present so it needs to move to the top of the list.

My side of the garage has been repurposed as assembly area, warehouse, and finish room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A place for the Boss to store all of her slippers...
    Slipper Caddy, filled up.JPG
    That sits under the table she uses as a Night stand...
    Slipper Caddy, front view, Project Post.JPG
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

At this point in my woodworking journey it is always another Windsor chair. I began woodworking at around 14 years old, and now at 74 I have drifted thru a wide variety of phases including about 11 years of artistic turning. But, other than the early days of building long rifles, I don’t know that I have ever enjoyed any phase more than this. I just assembled another comb back and I am presently working on a fan back arm chair that I hope to have assembled by Christmas. That will make 14 since early 2020.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Did a quick project today on the lathe for SWMBO. Candy complained about how the coffee filters in the Mr. Coffee are difficult to put in and keep them from collapsing, so a little time on the lathe turned out this coffee filter installer thingy:

Filter Press.jpgPressing Fileter .jpg

A longer version of this was posted in the Turner's forum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Did a quick project today on the lathe for SWMBO. Candy complained about how the coffee filters in the Mr. Coffee are difficult to put in and keep them from collapsing, so a little time on the lathe turned out this coffee filter installer thingy:

Filter Press.jpgPressing Fileter .jpg

A longer version of this was posted in the Turner's forum.

jtk
    Now that you are expert, show me something to get those things separated. Nice installer, mashing thingy.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Now that you are expert, show me something to get those things separated. Nice installer, mashing thingy.
    Jim
    Jim, it is kind of a learned thing. I used to be a printer on hand fed presses. Separating pieces of paper while picking them up becomes second nature.

jtk

I’ve got about two weeks to get a bathroom vanity made for our master bath remodel. Well, at least the carcass so it can get installed and measured for the marble. Drawers and doors for it after that.

Amazing what a bathroom remodel costs these days. When we moved into this house 30 years ago my wife put bathroom remodel at the top of the list. Three grown kids, two other additions/remodels later (kitchen/dining/family room/back porch and front porch/hall bath) and my wife is finally getting her clawfoot tub and a new closet.