Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage heaters? Propane ok?

Garage heaters? Propane ok?

I’m actually ok in my garage without heat BUT just read the label on Arm R Seal and it suggested 70 degrees or higher.

I’m Norcal Bay Area and my garage will be 50s to 60s for the next 3-4 months likely. Applying any finishes will be tough.

I was bout to fire up a 125k btu propane jet type heater. It has a thermostat. Read that it might not work.

Garage has a 20ft long ridge vent if that helps.

I’ve looked into 110v 12-15amp infrared heaters too. Those seem more of an object heating than room heating.

Blog Entries
    Bad idea to use any kind of unvented gas heater. Combustion puts a lot of humidity into the air, which may cause finish issues. And then there's the whole CO thing...

Kerosene is what I used before installing an actual heating unit.

Edit: propane isn't safe for indoors unless it's very well vented and then you're losing heat anyway.

Open a window if you do. I almost dropped a couple years ago running a propane heater in garage. I was planning on doing a VRF and pick up an unconditioned room we have in our house as well. But put it off too long and decided on an electric heater last winter. Most days im fine with nothing. but garage was 42 this morning so I may start firing it up as I work

I’ve used propane heaters in my shop, but only for the period of time I was in there.
    My shop is also no where near airtight.
    I only do it if I have to.

This is where I currently am with my research to heat my fully insulated 24x28x12 shop.

I found the Reznor UDZ line that comes with separate combustion chamber, able to be vented vertical or horizontal, and propane or natural gas fired. The separate combustion chamber makes me happy since wood dust is potentially flying around in the air. Also, I believe this will help combat the normal amounts of humidity released during the propane firing cycle. The UDZ is available from 40K to 400K BTUH output. THere are also options to order the combustion chamber in stainless steel.
    I do not personally own one yet, but it is on my short list.

J

Matt cremona is doing a build series on a big shop hes building.

His estimates came out as follows though his shop is large
    Unit heaters 6,000
    IR tube heaters 12,000
    In floor radiant 18,000

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    A few years ago I installed one of these vent free gas heaters operated on natural gas.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Fla...47829044&psc=1
    Worked OK AS LONG AS THERE WAS A BUNCH OF VENTILATION like a a half way open window in two locations and tons of moisture in the air.
    The comment above about moisture as a product of combustion is right on. Just think about an auto exaust at start uo on a cold day. All that white smoke is the cold air condensing moisture.

Kerosene heaters such as this
    https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-...87504916&psc=1
    are OK in your home and garage I have used one for long periods of time with no issues but if you have a sawdust environment there is a whole new danger from airborne combustion from the dust in the air.
    There is no free lunch....
    mike calabrese

I us Rinnai wall furnaces. You don’t say how largest he space is so it is difficult to advise. In our new place in Petaluma I will install a Rinnai EX11 for a two car garage, but only after the wiring changes, insulation and sheathing. Be careful using the propane vent free units. They are perfectly safe when used properly, but you run one when you are finishing anything and whatever fragrance is airborne goes through that burner and I can assure you it will come out smelling worse than went it when in. You want a vented heater. Direct vents are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post

Kerosene heaters such as this
    https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-...87504916&psc=1
    are OK in your home and garage I have used one for long periods of time with no issues but if you have a sawdust environment there is a whole new danger from airborne combustion from the dust in the air.
    There is no free lunch....
    mike calabrese

CAUTION
    used one of these heaters a lot of years ago in a two-car garage, 3 people working in there laminating cabinet doors. Don't remember how long we were in there. I went out to smoke a cigarette, once I got into fresh COLD air, I started to feel how bad of shape I was in. Forgot about the cigarette and went back in, only one guy, boss, in there, the other guy left to go to the bathroom. I told the boss to get out now, he argued with me, then the other guy came back and both of us got the boss out and opened the garage door to air it out good. Boss took off the rest of the day. The other guy and I kept on working by running the heater EXCEPT when gluing the laminate. Opened the garage door at that time and took a break outside.
    BE VERY CAREFUL using any open flame heater when ANY substance is used that gives off fumes that can be burned.
    Ron

Burning one pound of propane creates one pound of water. Are unvented heaters still allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Burning one pound of propane creates one pound of water. Are unvented heaters still allowed?
    Don't know if allowed, still sold in stores

We have an unvented natural gas fireplace in our condo. Worst idea ever. I turned it on once. Even with a window open as indicated on the safety sheet, it was a headache inducing experience. I would not have an unvented gas heater in any shop.

Been using an infared wall mounted, unvented propane heat in my shop for the last 25+ years. Keep shop around 57 degrees in cold months. Never any problems with moisture. Twice oxygen sensor shut unit down. I hadn't been in shop in over a week both times. On warm days (not rainy days) when outside temp is above 60, I open shop doors and let fans blow warm outside air in. My air cleaner is mounted close to heater. It is controlled by a thermostat mounted on ceiling directly over heater. Heater comes on, so does air cleaner, circulating warm air over the whole shop. I have a second fan blowing warm air from ceiling downward toward my bench. Only time it shuts off is for servicing, or power loss. Oil the bearing twice a year. Previously had a kerosene blow heater. Everything in the shop, including me, stank of kerosene!

They are legal. In CA the hitch is that it is illegal to install them. Nice trick.