Thread: Dovetails

Dovetails

Some dovetails are stronger than others. Not wanting to debate it this in post; it surely has been studied and tested many times. Can someone point me to a good evaluation?

Check out Highland Woodworking and search for "Mark Dugenske dovetail design". I don't find any data - just testimonial from "experts".

There is also this bit of unusable advice from the Smiths:
    "Some dovetails' mothers are stronger than other dovetails' mothers."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Some dovetails are stronger than others. Not wanting to debate it this in post; it surely has been studied and tested many times. Can someone point me to a good evaluation?
    Why not have some fun an make them a little different than 'regular' dovetails:

lovetails.jpg

In this old post my method of making lovetails is included > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?135061

Fine Woodworking had an article on different decorative ways to make a 'dovetail joint'. It may have been back in 2010 or earlier.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When it comes to process I usually go to two books, THE PRACTICAL WOODWORKER and THE COMPLETE WOODWORKER. Both are edited by Bernard Jones. Both are old but contain valuable information in straight up language not much opinion. Chapter on dovetails and most other joints.
    Jim