Thread: Help With Target Coatings

Help With Target Coatings

Looking for suggestions as to the Target Coatings product would be best for exterior use. I contacted them via email & voicemail but have not heard anything back.

I am building a sleigh for Christmas display in our yard. Sleigh is made from exterior plywood. I live in Maine, so we get some harsh weather. I have a Fuji turbine system, so I should be able to spray any of their products. I have no idea what product would be best for my use. I have a supply of their HSF5000 PSF primer and a bottle of the CL100 CrossLinker, so looking for topcoat suggestions. I also need to color the topcoat.

I am also open to suggestions for other brands that fit the requirements.

Thanks - Bob
    Last edited by Bob McBreen; 11-22-2022 at 8:41 AM.

The only products Target recommends for exterior use is their EM2000 alkyd varnish and their EM9300 poly. Both are clear. Since this is for exterior and I assume not fine woodwork, have you considered using an exterior paint?

Thank you for the information.

I think that I have it figured out.

If you decide on a TC product for outdoor use, do not use the crosslinker.

John

Thank you John.

After discussing with Jeff from Target I decided to use pigmented lacquer with the 9300 clear coat. He pointed out that being outside for approximately three weeks a year isn't too bad & it should hold up for multiple years.

Of course. In case you are unaware, 9300 is decidedly yellow/amber in color and will shift the color of anything you apply it over. I'm not saying don't use it, it's a good product, only that the base color won't be the final color. And that brings me to: Why not use paint? Exterior paint is made for the application, does not require top coating, likely will last longer, will be much easier to touch up when needed, and it's almost certainly cheaper. What's not to like?

John

I like to spray and use water-based. I am much better at spraying than brushing.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Of course. In case you are unaware, 9300 is decidedly yellow/amber in color and will shift the color of anything you apply it over. I'm not saying don't use it, it's a good product, only that the base color won't be the final color. And that brings me to: Why not use paint? Exterior paint is made for the application, does not require top coating, likely will last longer, will be much easier to touch up when needed, and it's almost certainly cheaper. What's not to like?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    Second vote for paint if you are going to apply a color anyway. Latex paint is water based and when thinned appropriately is sprayable with a Fuji HVLP — I’ve done it many times and gives good results. I am a big fan of Target coatings products but not my first choice for outdoor/exterior applications.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    I like to spray and use water-based. I am much better at spraying than brushing.
    Who said anything about brushing? SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel sprays great with 10% thinning through my HVLP gun. I haven't used it, but I think PPG's Breakthrough would spray really well, too. Both are waterborne and exterior rated. These are just two; I'm sure there are many other exterior paints that will spray well through your Fuji.

John