Thread: Wood movement

Wood movement

One of my "kids" has asked me to design and built a cabinet to house a printer and their files.
    They have a small desk and would like it to look similar.
    Paul;s desk, oblique view.jpg

This is what I have come up with:
    snip of M & P stained file and printer cabinet.jpg

The cabinet is built from maple faced plywood.
    P1040537.JPG
    The top panel hinges up together with the face panel to access the printer and spare paper.
    I still have to built the legs and intend to built those from solid wood.
    My concern is wether I need to make special provisions for potential wood movement.
    I welcome any advise or comment
    Cheers,

Tim
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you glue and screw them to the cabinet only along the centerline, two or three inches wide, there won't be any problems. You probably could glue the entire width of the leg to the cabinet box, since it's relatively narrow, but why chance fate?

John

Blog Entries
    If all the parts are made of plywood, wood movement should not be a problem. If the flat surface is actual boards, then attaching the end walls could be a problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you John.
    and Lee, the cabinet is made from plywood, the legs will be solid wood.
    Cheers,

Tim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    Thank you John.
    and Lee, the cabinet is made from plywood, the legs will be solid wood.
    Cheers,

Tim
    You still should have little if any problems with wood movement as long as the legs are properly dried before you make the build.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The biggest wood movement I would worry about is tipping. I would possibly weight the lower back legs. If the drawer were filled It could tip. Though your slides being very low will help lower the pivot point. Perhaps attaching Weight to the inside back of the drawer cavity would mitigate the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The biggest wood movement I would worry about is tipping. I would possibly weight the lower back legs. If the drawer were filled It could tip. Though your slides being very low will help lower the pivot point. Perhaps attaching Weight to the inside back of the drawer cavity would mitigate the risk.
    Thanks George,
    We have pretty well accepted that we have to have some attachment to the wall behind the cabinet.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You still should have little if any problems with wood movement as long as the legs are properly dried before you make the build.
    Thanks Lee,
    The legs will be made from 2, (3.5" x 3.5" in cross section) starting newels of a stair railing. They are made from a sandwich of 3 layers of maple wood.
    I will bring them down to 3" x 3" in cross section. I have to assume they are properly dried.

Cheers,

Tim