Thread: WIFI Question

WIFI Question

We have a satellite dish that includes the modem and router in the same device supplied by ViaSat. I've added an extender toward the back of the house so I can get a solid signal while in the shop which is in the garage. Recently my iPhone would indicate: No internet signal when using the router, it would however work anywhere in the house using the extender signal. I'm sitting now right beside the router and still it says no internet signal but will show a signal with the extension. When I unplug the extension, my phone does use the main router. Does anyone have any clues about what's going on?
    Last edited by Dave Fritz; 11-21-2022 at 9:30 AM.

Have you looked at a mesh network vs an extender ? I have experience with Orbi (at home) and the condo complex up north installed the Google system. In my experience they both work much better than an extender.

Google
    https://store.google.com/us/product/...d_gen?hl=en-US

Orbi
    https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-...9069595&sr=8-3

Or an Eero
    Regards,

Tom

I had similar issues with the “state of the art” Comcast router; I was lucky to get 2 bars in my garage shop. I installed the Orbi mesh system last year and placed one of the satellites in the bedrooms adjacent to the shop. I now get a solid 5 bars 24/7 and haven’t had a single hiccup with the Orbi.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the information. I'll check them out.

The Orbi I have now is miles ahead of my previous Linksys Velop. Pricey, but highly recommended. Impressive range.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    The Orbi I have now is miles ahead of my previous Linksys Velop. Pricey, but highly recommended. Impressive range.
    Same for me with my EERO 6 Pro...light years ahead of the old Velops I had at the other property, but in all fairness, the current generation of Velops has also been substantially updated. This is one of the challenges around technology. What you buy today is already obsolete compared to what's coming next. LOL

BUT...most of us have devices that don't actually have the ability to use the latest features and speeds that current/next generation access points provide with the exception of maybe the latest/greatest new wireless phones. So there's a bit of a buffer there. At the same time, the current/next generation WiFi mesh systems do seem to work a lot better "in general" than earlier setups so upgrading isn't a horrible idea to get slightly better coverage, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...