Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pine Tool Chest

Blog Entries
    Today I learned that butt chisels can be very useful when installing butt hinges.
    From Lee Valley's description of their butt chisels:

Butt chisels got their name from their popularity in installing butt hinges.
    Over the years of buying groups of chisels a lot of them had been well used by previous owners and became fairly short.

They have a place of their own in the back of a drawer with my most used chisels:

Buck Bros & Butt Chisels.jpg

There might actually be two from the same maker, though one is marked Witherby and the other is a Karpenter brand (both made by Winstead Edge Tool Company).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’m calling this done. I shaped the handles and carved a recess on the bottom of them with a gouge. I used two coats of milk paint, then a coat of wax. You can still see the grain through the paint, which I like. I decided against side handles, because I don’t think this will be moved often. I just shaped a little tab to be the door catch.

for anything else in pine I’ll spend more time getting higher quality boards. The knots in this look rough, but I think it will work fine for a tool chest.

FB1D8478-9AE7-4D0B-9AB2-7D44FD635A15.jpeg4E512C1B-A92D-42D1-9BBF-73A949F6C048.jpg21F7940F-EDF3-4108-9AB9-427135888DB2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well done, great gift.
    Jim