Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deco II

Wonderful, thank you. What species is the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Wonderful, thank you. What species is the rim?
    I made that from (16) pc. Segmented compound angle stave style Curly Maple.
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 11-29-2022 at 4:03 PM.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Deco II Section 4
    Almost half way with the rim carving. I rough out the 4th layout and have the others in various stages so you can see the progression of the work. I have also been asked about the tools I use, the ones in the photos are the most used hand tools. The knife is used for 90% of the cutting and large details. The other gouges and a Dremel do the very fine detail work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay everyone I stuck with it all day and finished the 4th section. last look at this side I cover this type of carving with several layers of tape starting with frog tape (painters tape) there is less glue. This does two things helps protect from oils from my hands and after cutting away as much as I have the rim has become fragile. This makes carving the second half a challenge. I show the base in the photos so you will see the changes I'll be making there.

Deco II second Half
    The day was spent roughing out the outer portion of the rim, cutting to the pencil lines only. This was done to keep the rim solid while I hand carve the outer sections. After cutting as much detail as I can into the outer portion I will slowly remove the inner sections so not to make the piece snap. There are only small points where the rim contacts the main bowl and outer ring.

Deco II
    Almost there I've just two sections to detail carve on the rim. I have added some new details to the base section.

Bruce,

Impeccable craftsmanship as always. But can you explain the name? Your piece is hardly Art Deco - did you have some other reference in mind?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Bruce,

Impeccable craftsmanship as always. But can you explain the name? Your piece is hardly Art Deco - did you have some other reference in mind?
    Thank you James, this is not the name of this piece just one I was using while carving and making, I kept it the same after the last piece I posted DECO. This piece has more of an art nouveau influencé with my modern twist added. this is the piece I posted here a few weeks ago, it did not get much response on this site https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-art-deco-quot
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 12-08-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Everyone I've posted the final photos of the real name of this piece look here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?301017-Baroque

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Everyone I've posted the final photos of the real name of this piece look here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?301017-Baroque
    Thanks!

Hey, have you considered creating a photo album here on SMC, a central place where everyone interested could easily find pictures of this and past work? I think you can have up to 24 photos per page but you can have more than one page per album (and more than one album). Each photo can have a description and people can post comments there. I think it’s a great way to show work.

For those not familiar with them jusk click on a person’s name on a message (or look up their name under Community/Member list) an if they have an album it will be accessible in the side bar at the left of the screen. (I don’t know if albums are available in the “Mobile” mode.)

JKJ

Albums are accessible through the mobile version

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks!

Hey, have you considered creating a photo album here on SMC, a central place where everyone interested could easily find pictures of this and past work? I think you can have up to 24 photos per page but you can have more than one page per album (and more than one album). Each photo can have a description and people can post comments there. I think it’s a great way to show work.

For those not familiar with them jusk click on a person’s name on a message (or look up their name under Community/Member list) an if they have an album it will be accessible in the side bar at the left of the screen. (I don’t know if albums are available in the “Mobile” mode.)

JKJ
    Thank you John do you have a link or can you tell me where to find this album section. I have never noticed anything like this here on SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you John do you have a link or can you tell me where to find this album section. I have never noticed anything like this here on SMC.
    It's been a long time since I set up my first album but I think I went to my profile and found a "create album" button or something. Under the Community/Albums menu item I see a Create New Album but I don't know if that is only there because I already have albums. You might try those and/or I could ask someone smarter than me!

If you want to look at an existing album, you are welcome to look at mine. I have three pages of woodturning pictures starting at: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=862

If you want to see how the upper level is organized I have a few miscellaneous albums here: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?u=32367

One hidden advantage to using albums here: if I want to display a photo or two full size in a messages instead of a thumbnail (and without first uploading it on a hosting web site), I simply click on the photo, select and copy the BB Code, and paste it into a message. Like this, for example:

JKJ

Thank you John, I never seem to have luck with posting in galleries but I'll look into it.