Thread: Satin finish for speakers

Satin finish for speakers

I'm looking to finish some speakers I made similar to these Kef LS60: https://us.kef.com/products/ls60-wireless. I want the finish to be fast with minimal work. I'll probably use my Graco Mag X5 to spray it. What should I use for the color paint? What should I use to get a satin finish?

Looks like a good application for Target Coating's EM-6500. Any SW or BM color you want. Sheen is 35, satin.

John

KEF, wow nice taste in speakers

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Looks like a good application for Target Coating's EM-6500. Any SW or BM color you want. Sheen is 35, satin.

John
    I'll look into that, thanks. So you don't think I need any satin clearcoat?

Personally, I suspect those speakers are not satin but matte.

In that case, I'd start with the Target EM6500
    Then you can top coat with any of their other clear coats. I am partial to EM8000CV. The cross linker will make the finish a tad yellow, so you may wish to use it straight. All of their products are available in a matte finish.

For me, it doesn't get any easier than EM8000cv in matte. It forgives technique and even substandard sanding prep (damhikt)...

I did my son's bath cabinets in it, and it's doing very well. And he's a highschool boy...

I was just using the Kefs as an example of the modern finish I was going for. Not trying to copy it exactly. I also considered doing a vinyl wrap, but that would have to be multiple pieces and the seams would show. So I'm trying to get the same look as satin vinyl with paint.

As John rec'd the tinted lacquer from Target is perfect. It sprays way better than latex, and dries harder. Target will tint it in any SW or BM color you can specify.

YMMV whether you find the matte or satin sheens to be modern looking.

You don't need a clear topcoat. EM-6500 only comes in satin, however, so if that's not dull enough you could spray EM-6000 over it, or you could add more flatters to the EM-6500.

My opinion about EM-8000 is that has a decidedly yellow tint. It will shift the color of anything you apply it over. On the other hand, EM-6000 is dead clear and will only change the sheen.

John

Dumb question, but where would I source Target Coating in Denver?

Look at their website. I think they now have a western US distributor or warehouse. Otherwise, direct from TC.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    Dumb question, but where would I source Target Coating in Denver?
    They sell direct. Get on their mailing list so you get the discount codes.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brandon,

Target coatings spray great with an hvlp. I personally wouldn't try to spray them with a Graco x5 airless. If you do spray with the airless you would want to switch to a Graco RacX fine finish tip like the 308 FFLP; but even with that, many of the target coatings are thin enough they will come out like a firehose. Their pigmented lacquer like EM6500 is thicker but still sprays well with HVLP. There are industrial cabinet finish brands that will spray best with an airless like Renner, Envirolak, etc. or even trim/cabinet paints but they are much thicker than the target finishes.