Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF I bought a Festool sander and vac...

IF I bought a Festool sander and vac...

Not saying that I'm going to do it, but IF I were to buy a Festool sander and vac, what would you recommend?

I'd want the sander to be my main sander for 95+% of what I do. Currently I have a PC VS333 which I use all the time and a Ridgid 6" sander that I got last summer but haven't used much yet. My impression has always been that 6" sanders aren't finish sanders, but searching the archives, it looks like a lot of people use the ETS 150/5 for the bulk of their work. My options look to include the ETS 150/3, 150/5, and ES 125.

For the vac, I'm wondering if I'd be happy with the CT Mini? I'd want to obviously use it to collect dust from the sander, but also from my PC circular saw with my EZ Smart system. Since Ridgid doesn't publish CFM specs, I'm not sure how my current vac would compare to the Festools.

The price range is big--the ES 125 + Mini is $390 while upgrading to the ETS 150 sanders and the CT 22 vac make it a $590 purchase. Getting the $390 approved would be a lot easier, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying too small.

Well I do not have either of those two machines... But as far as capacity to suck up dust, both the vacs will do well... I guess it's really a question of how often do you want to change out the bag... on the 150/5 or 150/3 the 150/5 is supposed to be more agressive like PC333 and the 150/3 is not as agressive. So if you are doing lots of plywood work the 150/3 would probably be a better choice.

But be careful... once you get into the Festool world its like crack can't get enough and yes once my PC 333 up and croaks I will be replacing it with a Festool... I already have a Fein Vac that has served be well so far
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I would recommend the RO_150_E sander and CT-22 vac.

It seems that a lot of other folks agree with me because, on the tool inventory database that is maintained for the Festool Owners Group, the ranking of sanders by folks who own them is:

RO_150_E_______________47
    ETS_150/3_EQ___________30
    LS_130_EQ______________28
    RO_125_FEQ_____________23
    DS_400_EQ______________18
    DX_93_E________________14
    ETS_125_EQ_____________14

and the ranking of shop vacs is:

CT_22_E_________________68
    CT_33_E_________________19
    CT_MINI__________________6

Matt,

How clean is your wood to start with? If it is coming off a lunchbox finish planer, it needs a lot less work than coming off the 'fast' speed of a typical 15 inch stationary planer.

The ETS 150 sanders will leave an impeccable surface. If you want a round sander and only one, I'd go with the 150/5. Another option to consider is the half-sheet sander - RS2E. But it isn't very aggressive....but is easier to control when working on surfaces other than large flats....such as face frames or frame and panel constructions. And you wouldn't believe it....but Festool actually sells the RS2E ready to use NON-FESTOOL abrasives. Just get the $18 'hole punch' steel plate and you can clamp any half-sheet of abrasive and go. You don't need the 'hole punch' as it isn't a difficult thing to punch holes in sandpaper....just that I'm too durn lazy to find the spots myself or to make my own hole punch fixture. Just got mine from Bob last night. It is, like most Festools, a very nice tool. Another benefit is that I can sand right to the edge on an inset surface. So you'll trade off aggressiveness for some versatility by going the half-sheet route. Probably only recommended if you use a lunchbox planer.

I have the RO150, 150/3 and 125 and others. I kinda wish I'd not gotten the 125. I don't think I'd have the 125 if I'd gotten the RS2E first. The 125 though may well come in handy when I need to sand vertical surfaces.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I have the RO150 and the 150/3 with the mini vac. I highly recommend them both. If you were planing to get just one. I would say get the 150/5 and the mini. It took along time to decide,so I got ahold of Bob Marino he helped with the decision making process. Thing I liked the most there was no pressure to buy. I must have called him 4-5 times before I bought.

Festool

Matt,
    I was one of the lucky first time pro buyers that got that special package a couple of years ago. I got the Ct22 plus the 150/3, where the 150 was only $35. They do not offer that anymore. Anyway, I have the rotex, 150/3, 125, and the Deltex. I have needed them all for certain special uses. I use the 125 a lot as it works great for small parts and I use the 150 for assembled pieces. I use the rotex for buffing. The most important thing about the sanders & vac is it does pick up just about all the dust and that as we all know is very important. I no longer cough up my lungs and can sand without a mask on. If you can only do one sander I suppose the Rotex and the Ct22 would work but the Rotex is big. I would say the best setup is the 150, 125 and the Ct22. As far as I know the only difference between the Ct22 & Ct33 is bag capacity.

I think my decision would be between the CT 22 and the CT Mini for vacuums. The CT Mini does have a lower CFM, but I have no idea how it compares to the CFM of my ridgid shop vac. I'm wondering if it might still be higher?

Matt,
    I've got the 150/3 sander and I love it! It doesn't do the real aggressive cuts that some do, but 95% of what I sand is large areas in prep for finish and that's where this sander stands out. I've paired my sander with the Fein Turbo II that I already had before I bought the Festool. My BIL just bought the Festool 22 vacuum and although it has features I really like, the Fein's higher auto switch ampere rating is a big plus.

Next time you have a sanding job, borrow my sander (and Fein if you like) and give it a test drive.

If your getting the vac for the sander only. The mini will handle that task just fine. If your going to you with a router or saw I'd go with the CT22.

I have the Rotex 150...I traded up from the 125 Rotex which was not nearly as good. I also have the 150/3 and that is a fine finish sander...Very good dust collection . The rotex will sand out saw marks on the aggressive mode on end grain and switch to fine mode...you have a smooth finish! Great for shaping wood as well
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I was using a PC333 before I got my ETS 150/5. The extra size is great. It makes things go much quicker. I honestly don't see why they make both the /5 and /3 as I've used mine for smoothing finishes and it works fine. But, I haven't used a /3 so ...
    I will probably get a RO150 eventually as I want the very aggressive mode and the polishing mode.
    I doubt I'll ever get a 125 size as it will just be more sandpaper to inventory.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I would recommend the RO_150_E sander and CT-22 vac.

It seems that a lot of other folks agree with me because, on the tool inventory database that is maintained for the Festool Owners Group, the ranking of sanders by folks who own them is:

RO_150_E_______________47
    ETS_150/3_EQ___________30
    LS_130_EQ______________28
    RO_125_FEQ_____________23
    DS_400_EQ______________18
    DX_93_E________________14
    ETS_125_EQ_____________14

and the ranking of shop vacs is:

CT_22_E_________________68
    CT_33_E_________________19
    CT_MINI__________________6
    Boy Frank, its like you like working with data or something

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle
    My BIL just bought the Festool 22 vacuum and although it has features I really like, the Fein's higher auto switch ampere rating is a big plus.
    Thanks for bringing this up, James. It is the first time I'd heard this. I looked at the respective websites, and boy, it's quite a difference in amperage capacity. From what I found it's 10A vs 19A. Is that right?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Boy Frank, its like you like working with data or something
    Hey, I am an ex-database administrator. And I have a degree in math and physics with a heavy emphasis on statistics.

I guess, even though I am retired from all that, I just can't help myself.

I spent a little time looking up the specs on the vacs and found the following

CFM:
    CT Mini 99, Fein Mini Turbo 116, Fein Turbo II 116, CT 22 134

Static Water Lift (inches):
    CT Mini 80, Fein Mini Turbo 90, Fein Turbo II 90, CT 22 90

Sound Level (db):
    CT Mini 72, CT 22 72, Fein Mini Turbo 63, Fein Turbo II 57.8

Ridgid doesn't list static water lift or sound level. They claim a 5HP (10A, so more like 1.5HP) vac is 150CFM.

Assuming Fein and Festool measure in the same way, It kind of looks like the Fein Mini Turbo on closeout at Woodcraft is the best value for performance. Of course the Festool has an onboard auto switch, onboard hose storage, and a more stable design. I would guess any of these 4 vacs have more flow and suction through a small diamater hose than the Ridgid I have.