Thread: Air cleaner jet vs wen

Air cleaner jet vs wen

I need to replace my air cleaner in my new shop. Old one is a delta triangle 400 cfm. The new shop is 20 x 40 x 12. At 6 ach I need 1000 cfm. At 8 ach I need 1300 cfm. The jet is 1000cfm and on sale for 400 the wen 3417 is 1000 cfm for about 260.
    I am between 1 jet or 2 wen. With the long rectangular shape I think 2 may be better. Also thought about the griz heavy duty double unit at 1400 cfm on sale for 390 but freight is 175. I don’t see the value with freight. I am open to other ideas
    thanks
    gary

Unless you have a real desire to have just 1 brand air cleaner in your shop, and if your old air cleaner is still operating well, just buy 1 additional air cleaner to get to 1300 cfm.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Unless you have a real desire to have just 1 brand air cleaner in your shop, and if your old air cleaner is still operating well, just buy 1 additional air cleaner to get to 1300 cfm.
    +1. Especially if you orient them to produce circular air movement around your shop.

Also, the Grizzly is probably pretty noisy compared to the Jet and Wen. My Jet 2000 is markedly noisier than their Jet 1000B.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-21-2022 at 3:49 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have 2 Jet air cleaners in mine. I have them mounted so they blow in opposite directions to try to circulate the air.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A much quieter option is Powermatics PM1250 air filtration unit. I can keep mine on all day and not even notice it's on.

I have the smaller Wen unit in my garage. it seems to work fine and isn't that noisy. I've had it for about three years now.

Thanks for the ideas. I was going to get rid of the delta because to clean the filters you have to remove the ends of the unit and you can only blow then out with an air hose each end has a plastic grill, a black mesh and interior felt pad. All pieces are stuck together. Guess it wasn’t designed to clean (1990’s early 2000’s vintage). Big question is will one unit cover the cubic ft
    thanks
    gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Markham View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I was going to get rid of the delta because to clean the filters you have to remove the ends of the unit and you can only blow then out with an air hose each end has a plastic grill, a black mesh and interior felt pad. All pieces are stuck together. Guess it wasn’t designed to clean (1990’s early 2000’s vintage). Big question is will one unit cover the cubic ft
    thanks
    gary
    My shop space is about 24 x 24 and 8ish foot ceilings and I have a Jet 1000B and it does a great job and not very noisy. I'd for sure put 2 for your size - overkill isn't going to hurt. I honestly think the JET 1000B and the WEN 3417 are pretty much the same unit painted different. If you are really focused on getting 1300cfm you could get a 1000cfm unit and a slightly less expensive WEN 3410 at 400cfm. you'd save 100 bucks. For the money, i'd grab two WEN 3417's, even though I am not a fan of WEN tools. It's a box with a few filters and a fan.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Just got an interesting ad from Grizzly. They have what I think is a new unit, the "Advanced Hanging Air Filter - Large - T33151". They say this will do up to 1400cfm but has 3 filters. A 30-micron prefilter, a 0.3 Micron MERV-17 HEPA filter, as well as a 10 micro activated carbon filter. There are times that I would have liked to have an activated carbon filter on my air cleaner. Don't know if it is pricey or competitive with the other units, but never seen this one before. Also, supposedly has an air quality sensor on it, but I'm pretty skeptical of those built into the units. I think those work far better stand alone.

I think the pre-filter might be too large to effectively shunt lots of particles away from the probably more expensive HEPA filter. I would think something like a 5-micro pre-filter would be optimal there, but just my $0.02.

In any case, a very interesting unit. I'd love to have one to test in my workshop.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-23-2022 at 9:02 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Just got an interesting ad from Grizzly. They have what I think is a new unit, the "Advanced Hanging Air Filter - Large - T33151". They say this will do up to 1400cfm but has 3 filters. A 30-micron prefilter, a 0.3 Micron MERV-17 HEPA filter, as well as a 10 micro activated carbon filter. There are times that I would have liked to have an activated carbon filter on my air cleaner. Don't know if it is pricey or competitive with the other units, but never seen this one before. Also, supposedly has an air quality sensor on it, but I'm pretty skeptical of those built into the units. I think those work far better stand alone.

I think the pre-filter might be too large to effectively shunt lots of particles away from the probably more expensive HEPA filter. I would think something like a 5-micro pre-filter would be optimal there, but just my $0.02.

In any case, a very interesting unit. I'd love to have one to test in my workshop.
    I just took a peek at this new unit and while I really think it has some great bells and whistles, like automatic air filter settings, it has a few downfalls right off the bat in my view. Besides what Alan said about the pre-filter particle size, the hepa filter is pretty costly and I am not sure if it can be cleaned. I clean my jet air filter outdoors, usually shaking it out cleans most of it, or I hit it with a leaf blower. The charcoal filter is 14.5 x 14.5 and you can find that size filter in merv 11 or so which will get you to about 90% particles @ 3.0 to 10.0 micron helping to keep the hepa cleaner.

What set me off right away was the two reviews. One person gave it a 5 star, ordered 2 units and both units needed 'fixing', one even didn't have the electric hooked up. The 2nd review had the fan motor seize in about 30 seconds.

But again, it's a box with a fan and filters. So if you get one that works, I am thinking it would clean the shop pretty well. They do look cool also.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I just took a peek at this new unit and while I really think it has some great bells and whistles, like automatic air filter settings, it has a few downfalls right off the bat in my view. Besides what Alan said about the pre-filter particle size, the hepa filter is pretty costly and I am not sure if it can be cleaned. I clean my jet air filter outdoors, usually shaking it out cleans most of it, or I hit it with a leaf blower. The charcoal filter is 14.5 x 14.5 and you can find that size filter in merv 11 or so which will get you to about 90% particles @ 3.0 to 10.0 micron helping to keep the hepa cleaner.

What set me off right away was the two reviews. One person gave it a 5 star, ordered 2 units and both units needed 'fixing', one even didn't have the electric hooked up. The 2nd review had the fan motor seize in about 30 seconds.

But again, it's a box with a fan and filters. So if you get one that works, I am thinking it would clean the shop pretty well. They do look cool also.
    I highly doubt the HEPA filter can be cleaned. And, as I tested in the long thread about these, you can improve their efficiency by adding a high grade, 2" thick filter to the outside of any of the units. Not the prettiest solution, but who care, it works and is very inexpensive.

The noise issue you are stuck with with higher CFM units. Nature of the beast.

Thants for all the info. I ended up getting 2 jet 1000 cfm from acme tool on sale for 23% off after I missed the Black Friday jet 20% sale. Haven’t mounted them yet. May take a few weeks before I get time
    gary

I highly doubt the HEPA filter can be cleaned. And, as I tested in the long thread about these, you can improve their efficiency by adding a high grade, 2" thick filter to the outside of any of the units. Not the prettiest solution, but who care, it works and is very inexpensive.

The noise issue you are stuck with with higher CFM units. Nature of the beast.
    you absolutely can clean the inside hepa filter by blowing compressed air through it from the back of the filter, sending most of the dust out of the filter. I usually do it on a window day, with the wind at my back and wearing a p100 respirator just in case.

I pulled this directly from the Jet 1000B manual "The inner filter (A, Fig. 7) can now be pulled out ofthe unit. The inner filter can be blown out withcompressed air."
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 12-20-2022 at 1:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    you absolutely can clean the inside hepa filter by blowing compressed air through it from the back of the filter, sending most of the dust out of the filter. I usually do it on a window day, with the wind at my back and wearing a p100 respirator just in case.

I pulled this directly from the Jet 1000B manual "The inner filter (A, Fig. 7) can now be pulled out ofthe unit. The inner filter can be blown out withcompressed air."
    Never tried that with my HEPA units in the house. Those just get replaced.

My Jet 1000B has a large bag filter on the inside that definitely can be cleaned, but no way it's remotely near a HEPA filter. Their website says 1 micron, and looking at it, that seems optimistic (no I don't have x-ray vision to look at particle size).

I would definitely replace the outside filter with a higher MERV rated filter. I went with MERV13, and the units works measurably better.

Never tried that with my HEPA units in the house. Those just get replaced.

My Jet 1000B has a large bag filter on the inside that definitely can be cleaned, but no way it's remotely near a HEPA filter. Their website says 1 micron, and looking at it, that seems optimistic (no I don't have x-ray vision to look at particle size).

I would definitely replace the outside filter with a higher MERV rated filter. I went with MERV13, and the units works measurably better.
    Ahh yes, you are correct, sorry, 1 micron, not Hepa. I did find a 0.5 replacement filter from an aftermarket company but I suspect you need 0.3 @99.93% to be hepa.